I Need Betta And Guppy Genes!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by lilabug4545, Apr 10, 2018.

1. lilabug4545

lilabug4545Well Known MemberMember

I am starting a website (actually two; one for each fish). It will be dedicated to guppy and betta genes. As such, I will need your favorite genes for each for me to do research on! Strains are also acceptable (preferably only for guppies). I will update you on website URL's once I have them set.
    For guppy genetics: please specify if you have worked with this strain before, and if so, please put down any notes or interesting aspects about the strain (other strains occasionally popping up, more defects than normal, etc.).
    As betta genetics are more well-documented, that isn't necessary for them, but it's always useful. Thanks in advance!

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

I'd like to see a bit more researching done on double tailed bettas.

I can say, as can other cites, that the DT gene is recessive so both parents must carry it. My double tail halfmoon plakat X normal plakat spawn ended up with 100% normal plakats with "wild type" coloration for the most part. I know that some DT have an extra section of fin on their backs, like a little hump, usually just before the dorsal fin begins. And, some DT only have the heart shaped tail but not the two separate tail structures. Then there's the extended dorsal, which is pretty interesting in itself.

3. GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

For guppy, may be cobras, Moscow's, tail types, mosaics dumbo ears, English lace, lace, will add more....

4. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

There are several betta websites that break down color and tail types.

5. OP
    OP
    lilabug4545

Yes, I know. However, none of these websites are comprehensive, which is my goal.

6. OP
    OP
    lilabug4545

Also, none of them that I know of list anything of the sort like "such and such line has this issue", or "such and such line may produce this color unexpectedly".

7. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

They are comprehensive, all the basics and further are there, work on a guppy one because there are less sites of comprehensive/legible data.

8. OP
    OP
    lilabug4545

That is going to be my main focus.c

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice