I Need Aquarium Advice Bad - Glass Scratch

1. Zeta40

Zeta40 New Member Member

really need advice on my aquarium it is a 40 gallon breeder tank that I use For
    My turtle i use at least 90% of the height of the aquarium So I got it probably about nine ago after a catastrophic failure of my previous 40 gallon tank almost got me kicked out of my apartment

So I am noticing scratches on the inside of the tank they were definitely not there when I bought it the brand is Aqueon now this happened to my previous tank there were many more scratches on it than my tank now but I am terrified another catastrophe!
    upload_2018-5-19_8-31-28.jpeg should I get a new tank?

Should I not get aqueon and get something else better?

Are there better brands?

2. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

If that scratch is on the inside of the tank and its showing up that good on the outside I would be worried, but I'm no expert on scratches.

3. B

Bruno New Member Member

what kind of turtle do you have? also would you happen to know if your tank is glass, tempered, or acrylic?

4. dwarfpufferlover

dwarfpufferlover Well Known Member Member

Do you have a cat by any chance ?

Edit: now I see you mention inside, that would be a ballsy cat lol.

Although mine have scratched the life out of my 20

5. OP
    OP
    Zeta40

Zeta40 New Member Member

No cat lol

It’s glass
    And he’s a map turtle 4 inches long n really calm

6. OP
    OP
    Zeta40

Zeta40 New Member Member

It’s a sand substrate
    upload_2018-5-19_8-58-29.jpeg Lol

I travel for work on occasion n worry bout something happening when not there

7. B

Bruno New Member Member

aww what a cutie! yes I dont think him alone would be causing the scratches, however are there any large rocks or decor he could be pushing around?

8. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

they do make turtle tank which are a little more robust. Basically thicker glass so it will take more abuse.

9. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

Here's what I would do. Completely empty the tank and grab some barkeeper's friend. Try and polish the life out of that area. If it buffs out ok, rinse thoroughly and add everything back in. If it doesnt, but you can barely get a fingernail to catch on it, I would ignore it. If you can get a good amount of fingernail on it, I would either silicone over it, or trash it. Barkeepers friend will rinse pretty easily and isnt going to hurt your glass as long as you're buffing by hand. I've had scratches show up on the insides of my tank from who knows where, but they're fairly shallow. I use the barkeepers friend to remove hard water etching from my glass lids. Works wonders.

10. Genghis Karp

Genghis Karp Valued Member Member

If it's just a cosmetic scratch I have many, it's just wear and tear. I have sand it the tank and it gets on my sponge that I remove the algae with. If it looks more like a break I'd get a new tank.