I need an experienced opinion! Help

1. bruiser Member Member

Hey, I have a question about cycling my new used tank.. I understand the cycling process, have successfully cycled 2 10g's.

So here's my scenario, please let my know your views and opinions..

I bought a new used, 33g tank. The former own had it up and running for about 8 months. there were fish in it, and they were all looking good, he said he had no issues with them.. So i naturally assume the tank is established.

When we emptied the tank for transport, i left the water just above the substrate. and kept the filter media submerged in tank water.

Once set up at home. I added Cycle for 3 days (as the bottle says to.) As well as adding some established filter media from a 10g i have into the AquaClear300 that came with the new tank.

I have 3 zebra danio's, 3 platy's, and 2 neon tetra's in it..

My last two water tests came back;
    Ammmonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 10ppm
    Hardness - 105ppm
    Chlorine - 0
    Alkalinity - 110ppm
    pH - 7.0-7.2

Is it possible that given the circumstances of the tank, and bacteria that I had an extremely fast cycle?

Any advice/thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, totally possible. I'd suggest skipping the Cycle product. It won't actually cycle the tank. It's easy to move an established tank with little disturbance to the biological filter, and since you added more established media, you're probably good to go.

Keep an eye on your readings for a week or so and then you're probably good to (slowly) add more fish.

3. David C Well Known Member Member

It sounds like you did an excellent job of moving the tank and keeping the system intact. Congratulations. As an FYI, the only product that will actually establish a bacterial cycle is Tetra Safe Start, accept no imitations. The other products don't use the correct bacteria and will actually hinder the overall progress of the cycle.

Dave

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

the cycle product can also give you totally FALSE readings...and it will take over the good bacteria as well...I agree with harpua to keep a very close eye on things for a couple weeks AFTER you stop using the product cycle....good luck and congrats on the new tank!!!!!

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good afternoon. I agree with the above statements. Congrats on the new tank! I hope you can share some photos with us once you're up and running.
    Happy Holidays!
    Ken

6. bruiser Member Member

Hey guys! thanks for the info.

I have another question regarding the cycle..

Everything is the same as before, except pH and Nitrtate. now its;
    ammonia - 0
    nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 0 (was 10ppm)
    pH climbed to - 8.0

The tank has been running for 7 or days now, with 9 small hardy fish in it (platys, danios, tetra's..)

Would it be safe to assume the cycle is complete since im not getting an increase in ammonia?? I myself would think 7 or 8 days with fish in it would be ample time to get a increased reading if it was going to happen? I may be wrong though..

All looks good, everybody seems happy.

Hope you all had a great Christmas!

Thanks again for all the help!

Chris.

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't assume anything yet. Like Shawnie said, you can get false readings when you use Cycle.

I think you should give it a few days after stoping use of the product.

8. bruiser Member Member

Hey, okay that sounds good. Today will be day 5 since the last time I put cycle into the tank. I've also done a couple water changes. But I'll give it a couple more to be safe.

Thanks!