I need an aquarium chiller.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I need some advice. I would like to get an aquarium chiller. Idealy I would like one that can handle two aquariums that can stay at the same temp. My home has no air conditioning and the temp fluctuations can't be good for my fish. Ifyou have had a good experrience with one let me know. I don't even know what I can expect to pay for such a device.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are the highest temps the tanks get to? A chiller might not be needed. Perhaps you can get away with using a couple of fans pointed at the waters surface or make a kind of DIY chiller. There are lots of threads about diy chillers in the DIY section of the forum. Using the search feature at the top of the page should give you plenty of results.

Like Harpua wrote, couple window mount AC units would be cheaper to purchase & probably cheaper to run to if if fans etc won't do the job.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Man good old nutter how are ya buddy! Well I've seen them hit 83 already. I just think that is too high. I have the money to get one I just curious about brands people have had good results with. N besides it is a reason to go buy a cool piece of equipment. I think it would actually cost less to run than my ac units.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The diy chiller may be an option. I had not considered building my own. P

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would just see how you go with fans pointed at the waters surface. During summer we have long spells of temps over 104f & I just use fans to keep the temp under 85f (PC fans fitted inside hoods). The occasional use of bottles of frozen water on the truly hot days around the 110f mark. Combine that with increased surface movement for extra oxygen & you shouldn't have any problems. Of course there's no reason not to get one or build one if that's what you want & you don't mind the expense of running one. I think you guys in the US get them alot cheaper than we do here. Over here even the smallest chiller will set you back at least $500.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Our nano chillers (1/15) are like $400.

I agree with harpua, the AC window units are the way to go. That way, you AND your fish cam stay cool.

I am working on a DIY chiller using a bucket, a powerhead and an HOB. I'm only looking to bring it down a couple degrees though.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maybe I should justget a new window ac unit for now. But I am still going to buy one very soon.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm really not all that worried about the cost of the equipment. I can afford it.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a Pacific Coast Imports CL-650. That cools/heats my 150g reef with 40g refugium.

I have no real complaints about it. It's heats and cools both. Just set the temp and it keeps it there +/- 1 degree. It's a little louder than I thought it would be, but not to the point of being annoying. If I have to do it again I would be it in my stand. It's beside it right now.

It's very well made and very reliable. You will need another pump to run it. Mine is rated for 180g for 10 degrees of cooling or 100g for 30 degrees of cooling.

The CL280 will fit your needs better with a cooling capacity of 80g at 10 degrees cooler or 45g at 30 degrees cooling. A CL280 will set you back around 330 dollars.

If you want to cool 80g down to 30 degree than you will want the next size up, a CL 450. It will set you back 480 dollars or so.

There are a lot of other great chillers out there, this is just the one I have. I maybe looking into getting one for my gold fish tank in the future and I wouldn't think nothing about getting another PCI.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Really! That's actually less than I though I would have to spend by about a hundred and fifty. And that's just for one. Not too bad.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here's a link to the PCI.

Since you have to run a separate pump, sounds like a good time to set up a refugium or a sump. When I do my gold fish tank with a chiller I plan to add a refuguim to put plants and claims in.

You maybe able to use the return side of a canister filter, if it's rated with enough flow for the chiller.

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know that water will eventually get to room temp but how hot does it get in your house that your tank water reaches 83 degrees. I would think even if it is 95 degrees during the day the coolness in the evenings and night would keep it from getting too hot.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha very funny jaysee
I'm SOOOO not joking. I went to Dicks to get one today but they didn't have them.

I'm going to have a powerhead pump the water into the bucket and a HOB (or second powerhead) is going to suck it up on the other side.

The styrofoam liner is going to keep the water ice cold for most of the day, and the coiled tubing that will be in the bucket will maximize exposure to the cold water. I'll be using a very thin plastic inside the bucket to maximize heat exchange. I only need to lower the temp a few degrees, no more than 5. All that will be required is to add ice packs to the cooler. I estimate the whole setup to cost less than $100.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A few weeks ago I saw one on overstock.com but I don't remember the price, and like I said it was a few weeks ago.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok jaysee I saw shirts on the link. I thought you were funnin with me haha my mistake.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom