Help I need algae

RomeoOscar

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I see a lot of people complaining about algae... I never had algae in my tank... I want algae... I have a custom made lighting system, there's lots of light, going on, probably too much, but I like plants to grow fast...

I don't have fertile soil it's just sand and gravel but I feed them Jbl fertilizing balls. Then on the water column recommend dosage of JBL ferropol, and Tropica specialized nutrition. Once a week after water change.

I inject co2 daily. (DIY system)

I mean it grows the usual little algae on the glass I clean it like once every month, doesn't grow much... Little on the rocks. Black spot algae on the anubias but that's about it....

How do I grow those big algae that look like moss... I wanna get some ottocinclus affinis and I don't have nearly enough algae... My bristle nose pleco barely gets enough.. Luckily I have some black hair algae on a piece of driftwood I bought with the anubias attached... But other than that nothing

Best Answer - View MacZ's answer

AmigoSpageeto

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would just feed algae wafers, canned green beans, boiled cucumber, etc. Rather than trying to grow algae in the tank. Also, sounds like there is enough algae that if you miss a feeding then they will do fine. Even if you do start to grow algae it is best to also feed veggies just to vary up their diet.

OP
RomeoOscar

RomeoOscar

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AmigoSpageeto said:
I would just feed algae wafers, canned green beans, boiled cucumber, etc. Rather than trying to grow algae in the tank. Also, sounds like there is enough algae that if you miss a feeding then they will do fine. Even if you do start to grow algae it is best to also feed veggies just to vary up their diet.
I think the algae looks super cool, gives off a natural look to the tank, of course I don't want every single piece of decoration covered in algae, but I was thinking in growing something outside on a container and then drop it in the tank, and treat it as if it was a moss. Think what I want is string algae is that how it's called? Looks like moss.

And yeha I got algae wafers and I feed veggies like once or twice a week...

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RomeoOscar said:
How do I grow those big algae that look like moss... I wanna get some ottocinclus affinis and I don't have nearly enough algae... My bristle nose pleco barely gets enough.. Luckily I have some black hair algae on a piece of driftwood I bought with the anubias attached... But other than that nothing
Those are the wrong algae for Otos. You need a layer of aufwuchs for them: Diatoms, green algae, biofilm, the whole mix. Black hair algae though... Mollies and Platies love those, never seen a pleco of any kind (including Otos) go for those.

Any recent pictures?

AmigoSpageeto said:
The thing is: What if the OP gets wild caught Otos? Those often need weeks to identify the supplements as edible while cleaning the tank of any aufwuchs within the first day. Most often they don't make it that far. For acclimated tankbred specimens though I'd always go for as fresh greens as possible and not the canned beans, those are just empty calories that get young bristlenose growing faster imo. Instead cucumber, zucchini, brokkoli and different kinds of lettuce or cale work great. Leaving them in for a while (max 24h) also gets biofilm to develop, which is a great addition to the veggies themselves.
But all this under the premise that the Otos actually adapted to that stuff.

OP
RomeoOscar

RomeoOscar

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
MacZ said:
Those are the wrong algae for Otos. You need a layer of aufwuchs for them: Diatoms, green algae, biofilm, the whole mix. Black hair algae though... Mollies and Platies love those, never seen a pleco of any kind (including Otos) go for those.

Any recent pictures?

The thing is: What if the OP gets wild caught Otos? Those often need weeks to identify the supplements as edible while cleaning the tank of any aufwuchs within the first day. Most often they don't make it that far. For acclimated tankbred specimens though I'd always go for as fresh greens as possible and not the canned beans, those are just empty calories that get young bristlenose growing faster imo. Instead cucumber, zucchini, brokkoli and different kinds of lettuce or cale work great. Leaving them in for a while (max 24h) also gets biofilm to develop, which is a great addition to the veggies themselves.
But all this under the premise that the Otos actually adapted to that stuff.
Oh ok! Guess I need more research before I get the ottos. I've also read the cheap ottos are the wild caught that haven't adapted much... The more expensive, are the good ones that will eat anything. All I can find is cheap ottos 2 euros each.

About the algae I got, I can get some pics later. As I said I never had algae so I don't know much and I'm probably identifying them wrong. I assumed the pleco would eat anything that is algae... I have another kind of algae on one specific rock that she loves to eat, though not much algae.. I'll get some pics later.

I love ottos but I don't wanna buy them without creating first a good environment for them. Last thing I want is to starve the poor fish...

Some of the plants do create some sort of algae and biofilm but probably not too much long term. Should I double the dose on ferts? Does that create algae?

as for the veggies, I feed broccoli, zucchini, carrot, kale, pea, spinach... Anything I got on the fridge really (greens) . I leave it for 24 hours, its enough time for the Fish and snails to eat all of it

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tankbred Otos should be 3-4€ a piece here in Europe. Except the store has a breeder close by that can guarantee a certain supply all the time. I know only 2 stores in a radius of 100km that have tankbred Otos. And I'm talking about Germany which has a high density of fish stores.

Yeah, take your time with the pics. :)

Usually nutrients and light duration are key for algae growth. Problem: If you add ferts you might feed only the black beard algae which would end up not being the thing you want.

There are other factors to consider as well. The overall tank size and the general amount of non-algae-aufwuchs or biofilm. I saw that correctly, you have a 200liter that's older than 6 months, right? IF you get tankbreds and the tank is really established you might be able to keep a group of 5-6. Which is the bare minimum for the group size and the maximum a tank like this could support. But I'd be wary.

OP
RomeoOscar

RomeoOscar

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That might be wrong my bad.. I have almost 1 year experience, but this one aquarium is about 3 weeks old. It's an upgrade from my previous aquarium, I have everything from the old one, except the sand. So there should some biofilm in the rocks, wood and plants, and some algae going on, just not enough I think.

Attachments

mimo91088

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You mentioned outside in a container. You can put smooth river rocks out there and let them get nice and green. Swap them in and out of the tank as the fish clean them.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RomeoOscar said:
That might be wrong my bad.. I have almost 1 year experience, but this one aquarium is about 3 weeks old. It's an upgrade from my previous aquarium, I have everything from the old one, except the sand. So there should some biofilm in the rocks, wood and plants, and some algae going on, just not enough I think.
OK, in that case we have to treat the tank for this matter like a new tank. Meaning: 5 months to go until you can think about adding Otos.

mimo91088 said:
You mentioned outside in a container. You can put smooth river rocks out there and let them get nice and green. Swap them in and out of the tank as the fish clean them.
A very good idea, one should just not rely on that method alone.

OP
RomeoOscar

RomeoOscar

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks guys :) I thought so too, just wanted to make sure, my tank is not ready. I'll wait no problem. Also I miscounted, tank is 1 month old now. 5 to go!

I tried that rock thing, it takes forever to get the algae going... Should I add a bit of fertilizer in the container?

mimo91088

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
RomeoOscar said:
Thanks guys :) I thought so too, just wanted to make sure, my tank is not ready. I'll wait no problem. Also I miscounted, tank is 1 month old now. 5 to go!

I tried that rock thing, it takes forever to get the algae going... Should I add a bit of fertilizer in the container?
For sure ferts would help

New Threads