I need advice.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jcmguy, Aug 4, 2014.

1. jcmguy

jcmguyValued MemberMember

I'm 17 and living with my grandparebts and I have the pH levels and filters that have been cycled that are good for african cichlids.. but all I have is a 2 29 gallons and 4 recently repaired 10 gallons. Should I just hold onto those and get a 55 or use all of them and get a 55.. Im thinking that might be a little much. Any suggestions??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. GgAcE

GgAcEValued MemberMember

I think you are asking a question only you can answer. As a young 17 year old, are YOU willing to have all those tanks? Are you familiar with the maintenance each individual tank requires with & without stocking fish? At 17 I didn't have much of a job so fish food would have been really tough for me let alone the live shrimp most of my current fish require.

If your filter breaks can you afford to buy a new one?

I certainly do not know your circumstances but want to give you some possible ideas as to what you MAY get yourself into. Why not start off small scale. Add some cheap-o fish that feed off flakes or something on the reasonable maintenance end. If all goes well after a few months & you are board with one tank, upgrade. =)

It's easier (in my current case) for me to go larger scale than it would be for me to sell everything off & be sad that I couldn't support/commit to my fish.

If you are looking towards starting off larger, keep one of your 29s & run it empty as a QT. Try selling off or trading the other ones for a larger tank. I find larger the tank, the easier the maintenance. I started off with a 35 gallon & now have the same 35 gallon in the hall way, 55 gallon in the bedroom, & the 125 gallon in the living room. Anymore & I have to start charging people to visit.

3. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

What kind of cichlids are you planning to get? If you want mbunas or something similar, you're going to need a large tank. If you want shellies or cave dwellers, there are many species you can keep in the tanks you have.

4. OP
    OP
    jcmguy

I just want a few mbunas. Or something of the sort.

Ill try and keep some in the smaller tank after I get somebigger ones taken care of.

I really want one long 55 gallon. And 2 29 gallons. One for QT and one for shellies or cave dweller.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  5. Vince66Valued MemberMember

Son , I must agree with the previous post by GgAcE. Perhaps read his post one more time. I would not put my mbuna in a 29 gallon tank. A 55 gallon tank would be considered a minimum . Or perhaps just set up one 29 gallon tank with some Glo Fish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. OP
    OP
    jcmguy

So I took the advice and traded the 10 gallon fish tanks for a beautiful light for my 29 gallon tank which is the only tankni plan on having fish in currently.

And I am going to he putting in some red jewel cichlids instead. Thanks for the advice all.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice