Help I need advice please

emsbird

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help me with my tank.

I have a 60litre tank, with an elite filter. My tank temp is at 26 degrees c, I have been cycling for 4 weeks and introduced 5 small glass fish this friday just gone. I have been using a product that cycles the tanks quickly, so in all the tank was deemed good enough to introduce fish into.

I test using strips, and a list of products im using are...
* Aqua test strips
*Proper PH 7.0
*Nutrafin Cycle
*Nutrafin Aqua Plus
* Accu clear

I tested my tank water on friday and all parameters were within acceptable ranges except PH, which was at 8.4. So in a panic I went and bought the Proper Ph and added this to the tank, for a few hours the water clarity was the same clear, PH was a lovely 7.0...then after about 4 hours it went cloudy. So I put some Accu clear in, and since then my tank has been a nightmare.

I did a 20% water change yesterday, and added Aqua Plus to sort the tap water out, the water was still very cloudy. Last night the cloudyness was terrible so I added 2drop more of Accu clear ( as per instructions) and this morning the tank water is still cloudy, but there seems to be formations of 'fuzz' at the bottom of the tank, on the filter and actually floating around my tank.

Now, I probably have completely jiggered up my cycle, and I am actually very upset by this, but Is there anything I can do to rectify the situation??

I have probably over chemically treated my tank, but in all honesty, I have been led to believe these treatments are safe to use and also safe to use in conjuction with each other. I also thought that the treatments were essential.

What can i do? I am in such a tizz..??? I am thinking of syphoning the gravel of its 'fuzz' to remove it, do a 50% water change ( even though I did a 20% one yesterday) and wash the filter in the water I remove out of the tank so as not to remove any of its beneficial stuff. Add some Nutrafin Cycle and hope for the best? But then Im thinking Im adding MORE chemicals... will that do more harm than good??? Please help me someone?

Levels today are...

Nitrate between 10-25
nitrite between 0 -1
KH -3d
PH -7.0

Thanks in advance

Eva

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i wouldn't mess with the filter unless its really stopping the flow of water.

I suggest a big water change, 75% or more even, to try to get the water clear of any additives and chemicals. A basic water conditioner is fine, and one like prime or amquel+ is preferable since they detox ammonia. However, I'd definitely stop using the nutrafin Cycle product, and stop using any kind of PH buffering chemicals and water clearing chemicals. Most of the water clearing chemicals i've seen usually state that they are for established tanks only. And regardless, the water cloudiness can be resolved without chemicals.

I also suggest getting a good liquid test kit so you can accurately test the water, strips are known to be notoriously inaccurate. If you want to go with a bacteria booster I suggest something with better overall reviews, like tetra's safestart.

Zenial

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi emsbird, welcome to fishlore.

None of the treatments are essential, in my opinion.

It's rather common for freshly set up tanks to gain a white film - this will clear with time. Don't be upset.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!
What is your ammonia reading?
While your cycling your tank the only chemical you need is some
thing to get rid of chlorine and chloramines.
The only thing that I know of that instantly cycles a tank is Tetra Safe Start and you still have to be careful not to over load it.
Other supposedly cycling aids are the wrong kind of bacteria.
Most fish if introduced slowly will get used to your pH. A stable PH is less stressful than a fluctuating one. So you really don't need the PH adjuster.
I would agree sounds like it's a little over chemicaled(not sure that's a word).
I would recommend several small water changes with just a dechlorinator.
Testing strips can be terribly inaccurate. Liquid tests like Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Kit are more accurate and cheaper in the long run because they last a long time.
Hope that helped. Again
Carol

emsbird

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, many thanks for the responses.

I am going to do a 50 % water change, but a tank clean. ( transfer fish into maintenance tank and syphon gravel and filter of the fluff) and see if this helps. I am going to refrain from using all the products that are 'suggested to me' and keep on using the Nutrafin products ignoring the water clarifer and PH correctors, as it seems to me that these products have caused this problem.

I shall also kick myself for being so gullible.

Thanks for the tips and thanks for the kind welcomes.

Eva
x

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!!

Don't be too hard on yourself, you aren't gullible, just new to the hobby and making the assumption that most of us made: that the fish store employees actualy know something about aquariums. Sometimes they do, sometimes they just regurgitate info they've memorized but don't really understand and sometimes all they care about is selling products.

I agree with the limited use of chemicals. Healthy fish tanks don't need a bunch of chemicals to maintain them. And like Butterfly said, Nutrafin Cycle doesn't have the right kind of bacteria, it's a terrestrial bacteria not made to live in water. Tetra SafeStart is the only product with the right kind of bacteria but it can be hard to find.

I know it can be really overwhelming just starting out but this site is an awesome resource with many knowledgeable people happy to help so never hesitate to ask.

-Lisa

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You dont need to remove the fish from the tank unless you are doing a MAJOR overhaul, such as switching substrate.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom