I Need A Super Fine Mesh Or Sponge

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Tiny_Tanganyikans, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

I need a super fine mesh or sponge to provent kuhli fry from getting into my home made canister. The problem is it has to be something that won't impede flow. I have a very fast flow rate pump attached 3200gph it's running at nearly full capacity. The baby loaches are somehow getting through the overflow and prefilter past polyfil, floss, and fine poret foam. They seem to be doing fine living inside the filter but it's becoming a nuisance having to open it every night and remove them.. I was thinking of cutting a few filter bags and layering them around the intake in the overflow. I'm just not sure if this will restrict flow.

Any recommendations on some super fine mesh that won't restrict flow and hold up? I tried attaching a little "pvc chamber" filled with a snug fit cut out of poret foam to the inside of the bulkhead but they got through this.

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

I bought some 50 micron filter polish pads off amazon a while back, however this kinda would violate your no flow restriction requirement :)

However I think what would work is a fine filter sock, it would be large enough to go around your intake and zip tie to it, and the large surface area should not restrict flow to much.

Amazon.com : Filter Socks 100 Micron - 4 Inch Ring by 14 Inch Long - LONG - Premium Aquarium Felt Filter Bags -Custom Made In The USA For Aquatic Experts (2 pack) : Pet Supplies

3. OP
    OP
    Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

This might work its pretty much what i was gonna try though 100 micron is more fine than what I have so I might not need to layer it. I'm gonna give it a try. Worst case I can use them in my sump anyhow

4. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

I need an e-cookie if that works! :p I think it will! No way your babies are getting through that anyways haha.

5. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I just buy a cheap fish net and tear the material off and wrap it around my intake cage

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice