I Need a Shrimp Feeder/Shelter

1. BigXor

BigXor Valued Member Member

I just moved a bunch of RCS to my 10 gallon tank. I have Dwarf Pencil Fish in it and they are constantly harassing the RCS. I need either a store bought or DIY shelter for the shrimp to get some food. In the 38 gallon display tank the catfish are not aggressive and share the food.

I found this on eBay AU 171720737872

But I can't think of what would food would go in it. The cage is very open. Maybe it's for really big pellets (??). Problem with that feeder is that the Dwarf Pencil Fish are the same size as the shrimp.

TIA

rcs-pencilfish.jpg

2. OP
    OP
    BigXor

I brain-stormed this predicament and this is what I came up with.

A plastic water bottle bottom filled 1/2 way with sand. Add some Peacock Moss tied to a small suction cup and bury it in the sand. This will deter the Pencil Fish from going all the way into the dish. Then add some tasty Hikari Crab Cuisine pellets for the RCS.

Neither of them know what to do with this strange thing in their tank, but I bet the RCS figure it out first.

Any improvement suggestions are always welcome.

rcs-pencilfish2.jpg

3. OP
    OP
    BigXor

I lost the bet. The pencil Fish found openings that were big enough for them to enter without the moss touching them.

An interesting trait of the Pencil Fish is that it can stop completely motionless and creep forward or any other angle.

I added more moss to the dish, now they don't have any holes to creep through.The RCS don't mind touching the moss and will find the food as soon as the Pencil Fish are satisfied that they're isn't any secret entrance into the dish and leave.

rcs-pencilfish3.jpg

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I feel like this is a TV drama episode. Very creative solution!

5. OP
    OP
    BigXor

So far the Pencil Fish are outwitted. Most have given up. The dominate one is still investigating and is so frustrated that he is picking on any other fish that gets near.

6. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I have seen these before.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Aquarium-Equipment-Shrimp-Feed-Tube-32cm-Long-w-Suction-Cup-/361300560734?hash=item541f310b5e

Often they drop the food down onto a feeding dish to keep it one place. Perhaps you could fashion a cage of sorts or breeder trap, that the shrimp can get into and the fish can't. Maybe use some plants.

Also another note, in most tanks you don't need to feed the shrimp at all. Their primary food is biofilm and algae. We only "supplement" their food with additional things like algae wafers or shrimp specific foods. So odds are you don't really need to worry about. They will find their food.