I need a powerful yet quiet air pump to run 6 items

1. millca Member Member

I need an air pump that will pump enough air for the following:

2 sponge filters
    1 corner filter
    2 large 2" air stones
    1 small air stone

My Fusion 400 will only operate 1 sponge filter which is pathetic or the 1 corner filter and small airstone. That's it.

I need to find a new one ASAP as I have some ranchu babies coming my way tomorrow. I'd rather not have to go buy three small air pumps but I likely do need to buy them locally. But I'll take any advice you can give me.

It will be located in my kitchen in an upper cabinet so it can't be too noisy.

2. eds48 Member Member

Check out the tetra whispers, the larger ones offer 2 outputs and you can always get the air diverters and regulators to control where and how much you want the air to go. My tetra whisper which is rated up to 60 gallons is VERY quiet.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

No air pump will be super quiet & still have enough power to run 6 lines.
    You can lessen the noise by standing the pump on a piece of sponge & being in a cupboard will also help.
    Hilea pumps are good & not overly noisy

4. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

I have a couple whisper 100 pumps and they run pretty quiet and have 2 outputs on each and really put out some air.

5. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I think it'd be best to run each filter with it's own pump. Run all your air stones with a 3rd pump.

6. Jim Well Known Member Member

^^^ multiple pumps!

7. millca Member Member

Sounds like multiple air pumps is my only option until I want to plunk down huge bucks for a Jehmco system which I cannot afford right now.

I'll likely just go to Petco and get what I can get from there.

8. delta5 Well Known Member Member

You'd be better off going to a hydroponic store. I haven't seen a hydroponic store yet that won't plug in the air pumps to let you hear how loud or quite they're. Plus at those stores they usually be able to tell you the type of diaphragm, max psi, ect.

9. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Millca, i like the Fluval Q series pumps, they are very quiet, quieter than the tetra whispers in my opinion. I agree if you will be running multiple items, use two air pumps. I had one of these pumps fail on me, but it was replaced and has been running without issues ever since. Also, look into the Rena 40 pumps, great pumps as well.

10. millca Member Member

Thanks Rivieraneo. I'll keep that brand in mind for the future. I went ahead and purchased the largest size pump from Petco (their brand) with 4 outlets. It is easily handling the two sponge filters and two large airstones. The other two (corner filter and small airstone) are being handled by the other filter.

All the bubbles are way louder than the pumps themselves. LOL! I walk into my kitchen and think something is boiling over. It will take some getting used to.