I need a good loner bottom feeder for a 30gl? Question

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by rlanghans, Mar 20, 2010.

1. rlanghansNew MemberMember

I'm pretty well stocked but still need a bottom feeder to help keep things clean.
    It's a 30 gallon with about 24 in of fish already.

What would be a good loner bottom feeder to do the job?

Preferably something that eats algae and left over food.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

:;thx

2. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

can you update your aquarium info for us ? to let us know whats in there now? and is the tank cycled or do you still have ammonia?

3. bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

People will disagree with me, but I have a lone upside down catfish and he does fine by himself. I always see him out and about. He's not specifically a bottom-dweller though. He's usually all over the tank (loves to chill up in the driftwood branches).

4. NutterFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't be adding anything just yet as you are still getting ammonia readings. Once the tank has cycled fully for it's current stock then you could add something else. Something like a Clown Pleco or a Bristlenose would probably be suitable.
    Until the tank has properly cycled though I wouldn't add anything. Do daily water changes to help deal with the ammonia.

5. rlanghansNew MemberMember

Forgot to update info. It's cycled! It's cycled!!
    That's way im in search of a single bottom feeder or small group of bottom feeders.

6. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

cool on the cycle!!! but you said you had 24 fish and i dont see that listed...only 15 fish..am I missing something? its hard to recommend something without knowing what is already there :)

7. rlanghansNew MemberMember

I ment 24 inches of fish, so ive got about 6 inches of fish left.

sorry for the confusion!:)

Thanks for reminding me to keep my info updated!:;thx

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  8. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

oops..brunette moment ;) (for me!)
    I like nutters bristlenose suggestion :)

9. rlanghansNew MemberMember

Thanks again for all the ideas! I ended up grabbin 3 Metae cory's. Their doin fine and look really cool!:;banaman