I Need A Better Filter For My 20g. Suggestions? Thoughts On The Uv Lighted Filters?

heybrittany

I have one of those basic top fin silent stream filters on my 20 gallon tall right now and I don't feel like it's good enough. Not even gallons per hour or water disruption whatever. What would be something that could hang on the back and not be crazy expensive? Does anyone have experience with the UV lighted filters? I'm also wanting to buy the 9W green killing machine but have noticed some hang on back filters with the UV light integrated into them. I've had green water issues on and off for a while now, nothing has helped long term, so I'm headed to UV anyways. Thoughts on if I should have a separate filter or one with the UV in it.

TexasDomer

UV filters are usually worthless - the flow is usually too much for the UV filter to be effective. Additionally, you don't need a UV filter. There are other ways to solve green water issues

I like the Aquaclear filters.

varmint

I would suggest an Aquaclear 30 filter. For your green water problem you can try Purigen. Hope this helps.

heybrittany

UV filters are usually worthless - the flow is usually too much for the UV filter to be effective. Additionally, you don't need a UV filter. There are other ways to solve green water issues

I like the Aquaclear filters.

I've tried black outs, less feeding, less lights, more plants, all kinds of things and I can't get it to stay away. What would you suggest? The green killing machine has a slow gallon per hour rate so supposedly that's more effective at cleaning the water.

heybrittany

I would suggest an Aquaclear 30 filter. For your green water problem you can try Purigen. Hope this helps.

Specifically what Purigen and how do I go about using it? I've never heard of it before.

heybrittany

IMG_8196.jpg

I'm kind of leaning towards this one. Has anyone used it?

TexasDomer

Can you give us more info on your setup? Can you take a pic of your tank? What kind of light, and how long do you leave it on? How often do you do water changes? What's your fertilizer schedule? What kind of substrate do you have? Can you test your tank for ammonia?

heybrittany

Can you give us more info on your setup? Can you take a pic of your tank? What kind of light, and how long do you leave it on? How often do you do water changes? What's your fertilizer schedule? What kind of substrate do you have? Can you test your tank for ammonia?

IMG_8167.JPG

It's a 20 gallon tall with a top fin silent stream 20 filter. The lights are LED that came with the kit. I leave them on for five hours at a time, twice a day. I have four otos, one opaline gourami, and two long fin blue danios(which are about to be rehomed since I do not want four more of them and they're kind of maniacs). I do water changes every Friday 25% and I vacuum the gravel. I only ever rinse the filter in old tank water when it's looking extra gross. I do not use fertilizer. I had bought root tabs but moved my Amazon swords out before adding any to the tank. The tank has been cycled and running since last August. Current parameters are .25 ammonia 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate. Temp is about 75-76F

It doesn't look horribly green in the picture but when the lights are off and you look through the side you can tell a lot more. Not nearly as bad as it has been in the last though.

TexasDomer

Reduce your lighting to 6-8 hours.

Add more plants.

I'd rehome the opaline gourami too - he'll get too big for this tank size.

Larger water changes, at least 50% weekly.

Add root tabs for your root feeders. Fertilizers will help the plants outcompete the algae.

Do a water change any time you see ammonia in the tank - ammonia feeds the green water.

heybrittany

Reduce your lighting to 6-8 hours.

Add more plants.

I'd rehome the opaline gourami too - he'll get too big for this tank size.

Larger water changes, at least 50% weekly.

Add root tabs for your root feeders. Fertilizers will help the plants outcompete the algae.

Do a water change any time you see ammonia in the tank - ammonia feeds the green water.

I was thinking of rehoming him too. I want to go in a different direction lol. Like some endlers or guppies or maybe some panda Corydoras. I'll reduce the light then. The hard thing is even when the lights are off I have my fluorescent kitchen ceiling light shining into the tank as well as tons of natural light from all of the windows in the living room. And as far as the root feeders, I don't think the anubias or moneywort are, are they?

TexasDomer

Can you put the tank in a place where it won't get sunlight? I wouldn't worry about the room light. Anubias are not root feeders, though I thought moneywort was because it has roots in the substrate.

heybrittany

I can't sadly, I'm limited on space until we buy a house later this summer. Currently in a two bedroom apartment. I'll put a tab by each moneywort than and hopefully they'll grow even more, thanks!

TexasDomer

Maybe you could cover the side of the tank that's getting sunlight?

You should see my two bedroom apartment... Too many tanks and animal supplies! The other room isn't even mine, it belongs to my animals haha

HaileStorm

I have one of those basic top fin silent stream filters on my 20 gallon tall right now and I don't feel like it's good enough. Not even gallons per hour or water disruption whatever. What would be something that could hang on the back and not be crazy expensive? Does anyone have experience with the UV lighted filters? I'm also wanting to buy the 9W green killing machine but have noticed some hang on back filters with the UV light integrated into them. I've had green water issues on and off for a while now, nothing has helped long term, so I'm headed to UV anyways. Thoughts on if I should have a separate filter or one with the UV in it.
I've no experience with UV filters but I have my doubts about them.

I highly recommend the Seachem Tidal filters. It's packed with features and is a great high-end HOB filter for around $41 on Amazon.

heybrittany

Maybe you could cover the side of the tank that's getting sunlight?

You should see my two bedroom apartment... Too many tanks and animal supplies! The other room isn't even mine, it belongs to my animals haha

I've been wanting to "black out" the back actually. I'd basically have to do all sides though because the kitchen hits the front and the windows get the sides lol I have another little 5.5 gallon in my son's room. I can't wait till I can have more lol

heybrittany

I've no experience with UV filters but I have my doubts about them.

I highly recommend the Seachem Tidal filters. It's packed with features and is a great high-end HOB filter for around $41 on Amazon.

I've read good reviews on the three that I'm checking out but long term they don't last. Having to replace bulbs every six months doesn't sound ideal to me. I'll check out the seachem ones, thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Thor555
Replies
Views
Igor95
Replies
Views
Cichlidude
10 Gallon Tank Polishing Filter
Replies