I need a algae eater of some sort

danielsnod12

I have a forty gallon breeder tank, it is stocked with a school of 10 red eye tetra and a two year old pictus catfish, ( he is full grown ). I need a fish that will kinda help with some algae, I have tried snails and a few types of plecos in the past and never had luck so I wanna stay clear of those. Will a Chinese algae eater do good? Or is there other fish that would better, like a garra rufa?

Dechi

Don’t get CAE, get a few SAE (siamese algae eater). CAE aren’t as reliable and eventually stop eating algea when adults.

Otocinclus are also very good but they need very good water conditions and are very small, so you need more of them.

Upvote 0

IzabelB

Hill stream loaches I’ve heard do a good job at clearing algae and i love the way they look. I don’t know much about them but that might be an idea.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Try to find out why you have algae in the first place and try to get the problem by the root. If all else fails you can still add an animal (that won't do as much as you want it to do anyway.).

Upvote 0

danielsnod12

Try to find out why you have algae in the first place and try to get the problem by the root. If all else fails you can still add an animal (that won't do as much as you want it to do anyway.).
I don’t have that much algae it used to be a lot worse, it grows mainly in a big ornament I have, which is directly under the light, it’s mostly green algae which from what I understand is fine but there is some brown algae which I read is harmful

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

I don’t have that much algae it used to be a lot worse, it grows mainly in a big ornament I have, which is directly under the light, it’s mostly green algae which from what I understand is fine but there is some brown algae which I read is harmful
Diatoms aren't usually harmful in small amounts. Cyanobacteria is what you want to watch out for. They smell like death and can produce toxins that irritate skin and kill fish. That stuff spreads like crazy and is a pain to get rid of.

If the algae is only growing on that ornament, manual removal or other non-creature methods might be your best option. In general, adding more fish to the tank usually makes algae worse.

Upvote 0

MacZ

I agree with Kribensis27 and add: Usually when you add an animal to do any kind of maintenance for you, they either will do nothing at all or ignore especially that one spot you hoped them to clean up for you. Also, when the few algae are eaten, what is the animal supposed to live from? You will have to feed additionally. Not really the effect people want.

Upvote 0

veggieshark

I would never add any critter for the sole purpose of eliminating algae. If you really like to have that critter, get it and the algae you have is something it will enjoy.

I have green algae growing on an ornament (that is close to the surface) and it looks like a moss now, I kinda like it. My plecos either don't touch it or can't make it go away.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • danielsnod12
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Dennis57
  • Question
Replies
Views
WhaleofKyanite