I n e e d h e l p. Urgent.

1. jcmguy Member Member

So I have found a guy selling very colorful peacock cichlids for 2 bucks a piece. Fully grown. The place to get them is an hour away.

First, would they survive the trip? It would be an hour back to my house and I have a tank set up to hold them that already has guppies in it but would they attack them?

Second, and most importantly, might I add, how do I design a cichlid tank? Any suggestions or pictures will help. I can add plants and such and everything needed so money is no problem. I can pile up rocks too like I see a lot and add some gaps in between.

Third, and maybe just as important, would they survive in my water? I keep the tank usually at around 78 degrees for my guppies and the two filters on it have been cycled or are being cycled. The pH is 8.2 and the water is decently hard. Nitrites and ammonia are at 0. Nitrates are <5.

Please answer quickly. Thanks all.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. jcmguy Member Member

He is also giving me four 10 gallon tanks for 20 bucks and 4 cycled sponge filters and an air pump to run all of them for 15 bucks. A great deal. But those tanks will be on another post as to what to do with them.

3. Maverick Member Member

I'm afraid I can't help much in the other areas, however: I too live more or less an hour away from the store where I buy my fish so I just have them add more water to the bag and on the way home, occasionally turn/gently shake the bag to dissolve more oxygen into the water. Maybe you could have the man put the fish into separate bags so each one has more air to himself/herself?

I don't know anything about Cichlids, but this website looks like a good starting point: http://cichlid.infocrux.com/Cichlid-Care.html

Same site, different page: http://cichlid.infocrux.com/Peacock-Cichlid.html

4. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Its taken me more then an hr at times to get fish home and they have always been fine.

5. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Peacock cichlids... what species? We'd need to know that to determine water parameters and suitable tankmates.

Why not just put them in one of those extra ten gallon tanks, or several of them, or move the guppies to one? For safety for the guppies, as the cichlids will probably consider trying to eat them.

Regarding transport, there's no issue there. I order fish from Indonesia all the time. Only had one DOA and it was not due to the breeder packing them, just a rare issue with the transshipper.

6. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi, I agree with junebug, they will consider the guppys food. I would also take a styrofoam box if the car/truck you are in is possibly too cool or too hot for them in transport (in the summer or winter months I take one with me when it is possible I will be buying fish) and that will ensure that they have a constant temp. BTW,That is a steal!

7. jcmguy Member Member

Hello! The scientific name for the cichlid is Aulonocara nyassae and I have found it is perfect for my water.. but will my 29 gallon tank be sufficient to hold a few of these?

He is also selling some 29 gallons for 25 bucks a piece.. should I buy that? He has 3.

8. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Ah, yeah, those require about a 40 gallon tank. You might be able to get away with one in a 29, but it would need to be the only fish in there.

9. lala29 Well Known Member Member

I think the hour trip will be fine! I had a betta female in a bag for nearly two hours and she was fine :D

I personally wouldn't trust one with guppies... Not sure whether this is correct though!