I miss you Lucky

A couple of months ago, I lost one of my most cherished fish Lucky.

Lucky was very special to me. I got him back in November, when he was teeny tiny. He had been bullied relentlessly at the store and was missing all of his fins. I wanted to help him so I took him home. DB2001AB-6E3A-4B29-956E-1EE5A2632063.jpeg
Although he was much smaller than the other cories, he swam and schooled with them. He was a happy little fellow, and slowly, his fins regenerated. 26A93025-6044-44D2-A5EB-40F149E344A5.jpeg
He grew up. He was so tiny when I first took him home, a fry even. But he grew up to be a healthy size, and although he wasn’t perfect, he made a full recovery.
8E69BBAD-92A3-4A7F-9A5E-0D900F328AFF.jpeg
He was missing a barbel, and his fins weren’t as full as they should’ve been, but he was functional and happy. I really did save his life.

But something happened, and I still can’t forgive myself for it. I still don’t know the cause of it.

I woke up and he was not okay, He wasn’t swimming right and he was off. Another cory was dead. Lucky died later that day.

I lost a lot of fish that day, and I still don’t know what happened. Somehow the pH had gone from 7 to 6 in one day. How, I don’t know, but that’s where I point the cause to. The pH hasn’t gone up since then.

I understand that all of us as fish keepers make mistakes and things like this will happen. But I lost 8 of my beloved pets in a span of 3 days. All of them hurt, but Lucky was the worst. I felt as though I had failed him.

I lost my betta, 2 cories, 2 killifish, a snail, a shrimp and a guppy those dreaded days. All of them are buried in my yard. I of course have gotten a little more used to losing fish, but I still can’t get over that losing Lucky was my fault.

I miss him, and I hope wherever he is he’s swimming with all of his perfectly imperfect fins.

We all get a favorite pet. I miss our first dog. He was a german Shepard mix. I love the dogs i have now but its not the same. I had an Oscar for many years and that too is hard for fish to follow. So chin up it happens to us all.

Lucky was very special to me. I got him back in November, when he was teeny tiny. He had been bullied relentlessly at the store and was missing all of his fins. I wanted to help him so I took him home. View attachment 692753
Although he was much smaller than the other cories, he swam and schooled with them. He was a happy little fellow, and slowly, his fins regenerated. View attachment 692754
He grew up. He was so tiny when I first took him home, a fry even. But he grew up to be a healthy size, and although he wasn’t perfect, he made a full recovery.
View attachment 692755
He was missing a barbel, and his fins weren’t as full as they should’ve been, but he was functional and happy. I really did save his life.

But something happened, and I still can’t forgive myself for it. I still don’t know the cause of it.

I woke up and he was not okay, He wasn’t swimming right and he was off. Another cory was dead. Lucky died later that day.

I lost a lot of fish that day, and I still don’t know what happened. Somehow the pH had gone from 7 to 6 in one day. How, I don’t know, but that’s where I point the cause to. The pH hasn’t gone up since then.

I understand that all of us as fish keepers make mistakes and things like this will happen. But I lost 8 of my beloved pets in a span of 3 days. All of them hurt, but Lucky was the worst. I felt as though I had failed him.

I lost my betta, 2 cories, 2 killifish, a snail, a shrimp and a guppy those dreaded days. All of them are buried in my yard. I of course have gotten a little more used to losing fish, but I still can’t get over that losing Lucky was my fault.

I miss him, and I hope wherever he is he’s swimming with all of his perfectly imperfect fins.
You did your best and looks like you put a lot of effort into your tank some people neglect to do that. Please don’t give yourself a hard time over this you’re only human we all make mistakes and if it wasn’t for you that fish may have had no life at all if you hadn’t picked him up that day. Look at the positive he had a loving home for the time you had him so don’t beat yourself up about it, everything happens for a reason. We need more caring people in the world like yourself and the world would be a lot better place. So chin up and carry on , those fish need you!

Lucky was very special to me. I got him back in November, when he was teeny tiny. He had been bullied relentlessly at the store and was missing all of his fins. I wanted to help him so I took him home. View attachment 692753
Although he was much smaller than the other cories, he swam and schooled with them. He was a happy little fellow, and slowly, his fins regenerated. View attachment 692754
View attachment 692755

I'm so sorry about Lucky. He seems like amazing cory. Swim in peace, Luckjy. My Cory is also really special to me. She's the only fish that hasn't been replaced and she seems to survive everything. I'd feel really, really, upset if I lost her, too.

Last edited:
I miss my dog Phoebe a lot. I feel like crying when I think of it. She was hit by a pick up truck and killed 2 years ago in February.

I miss my dog Phoebe a lot. I feel like crying when I think of it. She was hit by a pick up truck and killed 2 years ago in February.
I'm so sorry about your dog, too. That must've been devastating first you, losing her.

I'm sorry to hear about this. We've all had things go south like that with our fish and it's worse when you can't even figure out how it happened. It's been 1 week since I inexplicably lost my favorite fish, George, the GBR in my profile pic. It's still really sad when I think about it.

The good news is that you are here on a forum where most, if not all, know what you're going through and will support you in your sadness. Nobody will judge you or give you a hard time for your intense feeling of loss because we've all been there and know how it hurts.

I'm sorry to hear about this. We've all had things go south like that with our fish and it's worse when you can't even figure out how it happened. It's been 1 week since I inexplicably lost my favorite fish, George, the GBR in my profile pic. It's still really sad when I think about it.

The good news is that you are here on a forum where most, if not all, know what you're going through and will support you in your sadness. Nobody will judge you or give you a hard time for your intense feeling of loss because we've all been there and know how it hurts.
Wow, you couldn't have said it better!

It was, especially since I watched her die.
Oh, my, that would be super devastating. One question: how did it happen? I know it's a little sensitive so feel free to not answer. Forgive me if I'm being nosy.

Oh, my, that would be super devastating. One question: how did it happen? I know it's a little sensitive so feel free to not answer. Forgive me if I'm being nosy.
I'm okay with talking about it.
Well, she wasn't really hit by the car more run over really, I was going for a bike ride and brought her along (without a leash) A car was coming so I stopped in the ditch. She normally chases cars so I was like "whatever" when she chased it, I knew she would turn around as soon as it got out of chasing range. I turned away to continue my ride when I heard a really loud yelp. I turned around and she was rolling on the road and trying to get to the ditch (I live on a dirt road out in the country so there were ditches) Once she was in the ditch she started throwing up blood. She only lasted a few minutes after that. The guy who ran her over kept apologizing over and over saying he was really sorry.
We had her cremated by our local vet. RIP, my Phoebe, you're always in my thoughts.

So it was pretty irresponsible on my part, and if I'd trained her right and well, maybe she'd still be alive today. My new dog, Molly never goes near the road so I don't think she'll get hit anytime soon.

Last edited:
I'm okay with talking about it.
Well, she wasn't really hit by the car more run over really, I was going for a bike ride and brought her along (without a leash) A car was coming so I stopped in the ditch. She normally chases cars so I was like "whatever" when she chased it, I knew she would turn around as soon as it got out of chasing range. I turned away to continue my ride when I heard a really loud yelp. I turned around and she was rolling on the road and trying to get to the ditch (I live on a dirt road out in the country so there were ditches) Once she was in the ditch she started throwing up blood. She only lasted a few minutes after that. The guy who ran her over kept apologizing over and over saying he was really sorry.
We had her cremated by our local vet. RIP, my Phoebe, your always in my thoughts.

So it was pretty irresponsible on my part, and if I'd trained her right and well, maybe she'd still be alive today. My new dog, Molly never goes near the road so I don't think she'll get hit anytime soon.
Oh, my, that was heartbreaking to read. Don't be so hard on yourself, it wasn't completely your fault. RIP Phoebe.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom