I Might Be Paranoid But Can I Have Some Filtration Advice Please? 5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by bolivianbaby, Apr 10, 2010.

1. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Shawnie's babies and Armand are my first halfmoons. Until now, I've only had veiltails.

All 5 betta tanks have HOB filters on them. The betta babies I got from Shawnie and my veiltail Firecracker are all doing fine with that. However, Armand gets "blown around" by the filter. I had to shove pantyhose into the filter to slow down the flow. Firecracker has an Aquaclear 5-20. The others have Aqua-Tech 5-15's.

Should I switch them all over to sponge filters? The babies are all still babies, but eventually they'll have some serious halfmoon tail finnage (at least the males will).

2. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Have you tried a DIY flow diffuser? If so and that didnt work you could go to the sponge filters or go to a filter that has a current adjuster on it. That way in the future you can still use the tanks for other things.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  3. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

I had this issue in my 10g fry tank also, not betta fry but nonetheless many were getting blown around. First thing I did was increase the water level in the tank, that seemed to ease the turbulence, and also I tried this simple DIY to divert the output water flow and it seemed to help as well. Good luck!

4. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

That's what I'm using the pantyhose for. Do you have links for something else that will do the job? It has to be very easy. I'm not electronically or mechanically inclined at all. Even when I pick up a screwdriver, the dogs run.

I may try that. I hope I can pull it off. I'm not so good with things like that. Thanks.

5. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

its really easy, i did it with a solo cup and a pair of scissors :)

6. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Ok....dont pick up a screwdriver....dont want to scare the dogs...o_O lol. For fry I have to say it would just be easier if you went with sponge filters because that way its easier on them even with a flow diffuser it might not be any easier on them....idk

7. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

I have air driven filters on all my betta tanks and haven't had any issues. I don't have many HOBS on my tanks and the ones that have them I'm plotting to get rid of eventually. I just don't like them :p

8. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

I use extra filter media for any of my "blow around" kids LOL
    DSC04639.JPG
    the closer to the water, the less flow :)

9. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Thanks everyone!

We know how paranoid I am and how special my babies are to me.

With the pantyhose stuffed into the filter, Armand can now swim freely and enjoy the entire 5 gallons of his new home. Hopefully, that'll help him build up his swimming strength/muscles as well.

I'll be keeping a close eye on Lily, Pistol, and Angel as well to make sure they don't have any problems as they get older. Since they're used to "tank life" instead of bowls thanks to Shawnie's wonderful care and love, they already have more swimming strength than poor Armand.

10. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

sometimes when we get bettas from breeders, with full finnage like he is (amazing boy btw) they arent use to filtered tanks ....im sure he will strengthen himself in no time!!! mine were always raised with a filter and as they grew up(as im not a breeder so i had the space for such tanks ) , I took out more media to make it a stronger flow..so im sure they will be fine with it :) ty for the nice comments :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice