I May Have Found The Magical Duo Of Schooling Tetras.

Josh McVay

This is entirely opinionated, clearly, but I have found a couple tetra species that school seamlessly and have colors that compliment each other in a way that keeps me staring.

serpae tetras and black phantom tetras.

I decided to experiment with a couple dense schooling tetras in my 29 gallon lightly planted tank to see what kind of life I could bring to the Characidae family, since people seem to be deviating towards the less popular, but more heavily bought barbs, being of the tiger, cherry, and glass varieties in my area.

I went to a few local pet stores, including the one I work at to obtain sale prices, just to see how some tetras swim, how they interact with each other, where their markings are, and what kind of color combinations I could get.

I came to the observation that the very inexpensive (and often under-looked) serpae tetras share some very distinct body shape, markings, and size, to the less common, more expensive black phantom tetras.

I bought six of the black phantoms first, just to make sure they do okay in the 29 I have set up and found that they were very reclusive for a week or so, but as soon as I added the six serpae tetras from the store I work at into the mix, they immediately began schooling completely seamlessly with them. After a few days, I found that I am looking at them more often than my severums, rams, and apistos, which is saying a lot, considering those are my favorite fish.

They school perfectly together, compliment each other heavily, and I can never favor looking at one over the other.

Josh McVay

I prefer neon tetras alone or cardinal tetras alone
I like them too and keep them with my betta (I know it is weird, but it works!). I don't think neons look better with other tetras at all, as you said. They look great alone, but I feel having options is aways nice and I believe that we haven't had "new" options as far as tetras go for a long time. I want to spread the word of nice tetras that school together where I live only because their popularity is dying in favor of barbs. I love barbs, but I think tetras need some more life, which is the reason I did this experiment. and I found a great combo. I may even order some black phantoms and put them with our serpaes to gather attention.

aussieJJDude

A mix I always wanted to try is bloodfins with rummies, from what I heard they will closely school with eachother in the tank.

PeauMon

I like them too and keep them with my betta (I know it is weird, but it works!). I don't think neons look better with other tetras at all, as you said. They look great alone, but I feel having options is aways nice and I believe that we haven't had "new" options as far as tetras go for a long time. I want to spread the word of nice tetras that school together where I live only because their popularity is dying in favor of barbs. I love barbs, but I think tetras need some more life, which is the reason I did this experiment. and I found a great combo. I may even order some black phantoms and put them with our serpaes to gather attention.
Good job then mate

ghostie

Sounds neat, you should post a picture of the school. I love tetras, especially when they school together.

Shael

I've mixed serpae tetras and black skirt tetras! I think they look very nice and I wish you luck in your fish keeping!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
dwightparker
Replies
Views
Giul
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views