I may have exposed my fish to Ich

MossMark

The 4 fish I was quarantining ended up coming down with Ich on their 12th day. I increased the temperature of the tank and ordered an anti-Ich medication, but my question revolves around a second, currently healthy tank. I’m worried that I may have spread this parasite to my main tank. I have two gravel vacs (one for quarantine tank and one for main) but I used the quarantine tank vac on my main tank by accident because they are identical. I noticed this error immediately after starting a water change but the damage would have already been done. My main tank is showing no signs of Ich yet, but should I begin treatment on it anyways to prevent another outbreak?

awilkinson871

You could have exposed them by using equipment, but I would wait to see if anyone comes down with it. Ich medication can be tough on some fish.

MossMark

You could have exposed them by using equipment, but I would wait to see if anyone comes down with it. Ich medication can be tough on some fish.
Thanks for the help. I turned the temperature of my main tank up a bit for preventative measures in place of medication

awilkinson871

Use either the heat method or the medication. If you use heat you should add an additional air stone as the warmer water makes it harder for fish to absorb oxygen. Clean the substrate every 2-3 days to clean up the ich as it falls off to reproduce. The heat method takes 2-3 weeks, but I have used it and it works.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
awilkinson871
Replies
Views
bree78
Replies
Views
nsta
Replies