I Made A Diy Aquaclear Refugium!

harpua2002

Well, you know you're a fish geek when this is how you spend your afternoon...

I've been wanting something to help with nutrient export on the 30 gallon cube Saltwater tank. I don't have a skimmer yet- still waiting on the right deal to pick one up used. I had seen these DIY plans on other forums and finally decided to try it myself. When our 6 Aquaclear 70's arrived from Big Al's today, I figured it was the perfect time to give it a shot.

I started by cutting the media basket that comes with the filter.

49.jpg

To reduce the flow, I swapped the impeller with the impeller from an Aquaclear 50.

50.jpg

The AC 50 impeller is on the left, the AC 70 impeller is on the right.

51.jpg

Replacing the impeller.

52.jpg

Done!

53.jpg

I used the bottom of the media basket to prevent my macro algae from being pumped out into the tank. Super glue is holding it in place nicely.

54.jpg

55.jpg

I cut a piece of acrylic to fit in the Aquaclear as a baffle. I used a rotary tool to smooth and trI'm the edges.

56.jpg

More super glue holds the baffle in place.

57.jpg

harpua2002

Here's everything glued in place and ready for a test run.

58.jpg

59.jpg

I added some live rock rubble.

60.jpg

Then, hung it on the tank and added a ball of chaeto.

61.jpg

IT'S ALIIIIIIIIVE!

62.jpg

In action, running on the 30 gallon cube.

63.jpg

Raamiah

That's awesome. I love DIY stuff!
I wish you were out in San Diego. I have found a local forum where people b/s/t with each other all the time and you could pick up a nice cheap skimmer here. Hope you find one soon!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Akari_32

that's so cool! >.<

David C

That's really cool. I still can't get over that you bought 6 ac 70's at once, they musta been on sale and you must have plans for more tanks

Dave

harpua2002

That's awesome. I love DIY stuff!
I wish you were out in San Diego. I have found a local forum where people b/s/t with each other all the time and you could pick up a nice cheap skimmer here. Hope you find one soon!!!

Thanks for sharing.

I manage to do quite well for myself buying used... I'm a member of one of the largest reef clubs in the country. I see used skimmers all the time but I'm just holding out for the right one at the right time.

that's so cool! >.<
Appreciate it.

That's really cool. I still can't get over that you bought 6 ac 70's at once, they musta been on sale and you must have plans for more tanks

Dave
LOL... the AC 70s were on sale for $19.99 at Big Al's. Couldn't pass them up. My husband and I are working on converting the garage into a fishroom and you can never have too many filters.

bolivianbaby

That's really cool!! You did a fabulous job and very creative.

Aquarist

oh wow! hmmmmm wheels are turning in my head now! lol
Great job. Thanks for posting your project.
Ken

Akari_32

so how did u come up with this idea anyway? its such a neat concept! (and I'm sure a lot cheaper lol)

harpua2002

I've seen this DIY plan on lots of other forums and it's something I've always wanted to try. When the Aquaclear 70's went on sale at Big Al's and we ordered 6 of them, I figured why not give it a shot!

djbrist

Thanks Harpua,
I love DIY stuff, and this makes it that much easier for me to think hard about a s/w start-up, thanks for the share!

Dave

ps- where are my farberware poultry shears? I left them on the counter..... I have some I just used tonight at my kitchen counter too. If my wife knew I used any kitchen stuff, let alone in the kitchen, she'd flip...oh ya, she'd flip. SSHHH

rickyh24

HI guys new to the forum found this post with a google search.

Could I use this same method for a 70 gallon reef I'm about to set up??

I was thinking of using an Aquaclear 110 and swapping the impeller out with one from a Aquaclear 70. Or should I still go with the 50 impeller? I'm already going to have a HOB skimmer and I want to avoid having a sump or a fuge under my tank. This is pretty much exactly what I was looking to do. Would this be worth it? Would it help my water quality?

Thanks for any help

Also did the piece of foam you have near the acrylic you cut come with the filter?

I've merged your back to back posts.
Thanks!
Ken

Aquarist

Hello RickyH and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I'm sure Harpua and others will respond before long.

Feel free to create a thread in the Welcome to Fish Lore section and introduce yourself!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

harpua2002

HI guys new to the forum found this post with a google search.

Could I use this same method for a 70 gallon reef I'm about to set up??

I was thinking of using an Aquaclear 110 and swapping the impeller out with one from a Aquaclear 70. Or should I still go with the 50 impeller? I'm already going to have a HOB skimmer and I want to avoid having a sump or a fuge under my tank. This is pretty much exactly what I was looking to do. Would this be worth it? Would it help my water quality?

Thanks for any help

Also did the piece of foam you have near the acrylic you cut come with the filter?

I've merged your back to back posts.
Thanks!
Ken

HI and welcome to FL!

Unfortunately, I don't think that an Aquaclear refugium would do much for nutrient export in a tank as large as yours. You might want to look into hang on back refugiums, I'm sure you could find something at Foster's and Smith or Marine Depot.

rickyh24

What size hob fuge should I get for a 65 gallon set up?

harpua2002

What size hob fuge should I get for a 65 gallon set up?

I'm sorry, I don't really know much about them. I've never used a hob fuge so I wouldn't even know where to begin to advise you.

Drkangel123

That is cool, too bad I am a freshwater nut lol

Loki.x

So cool!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ForceTen
  • Question
Replies
Views
Pfrozen