I love my kuhlis <3

ZeldaNerd
Hi all, I just wanted to tell y'all about my kuhlis. I went into the store with the intention of getting 8. So I was there besides myself with joy as the fish store employee was trying to net them (which of course was a hassle lol) and he was counting them and asked if 9 would be alright and I said it's fine. So I came out with 9 kuhlis, but once I got home and they had settled down a bit, I counted them all and 2 bitty babies were in there, and I'm assuming that they got counted for 1 and so I have 10 of these darlings and couldn't be happier! I've had them for about 2 weeks now with a school of 6 neon tetra. Both schools are doing fantastic, and I often see the neons hanging around the kuhlis like a big school, they're adorable! My tank has a bunch of hiding places, but they love to be out in the open searching around in the sand near my anabias, but then others like to be in the driftwood. It was so funny today because when I went to feed them, 1 was draped across the leaves of a smaller anabias just being lazy, but of course, immediately saw the wafers and swam right over. Am I the only one with pigs for loaches lol?? I think I'm firmly with the whole they're-definitely-not-nocturnal group, I always see them! They love to be out and about, exploring and bask with their group. I absolutely adore my babies!!
Their favorite food has been shrimp wafers, they barely touch their algae wafers or some zucchini I place in there, but go crazy when I give them shrimp wafers. They also like the bits of flake food that fall to the substrate when I feed the neons, which includes veggie flakes and bug bite flakes. I put the wafers in all their favorite spots, 2 for the big group that likes the front and 1 for the couple that hang on the other side of the tank in a driftwood cave. Just wanted to share because they made me smile today, if you have a 20 gallon tank and want and AMZING fish, I highly recommend kuhli loaches! I swear I could have a whole tank of just these guys and be satisfied :)
Do y'all have any of the same experiences with your loaches? I would take pics of mine too but the glare is absolutely horrible in their location

Joker77

Mine were always out when they were young but now a couple years later i hardly see them.

ZeldaNerd
Joker77 said:

Mine were always out when they were young but now a couple years later i hardly see them.
I've read that a couple places, that over time they become more reclusive, I guess I'll enjoy it while I can. Btw, were the kuhlis on the video yours? So cute!!

Joker77
ZeldaNerd said:
I've read that a couple places, that over time they become more reclusive, I guess I'll enjoy it while I can. Btw, were the kuhlis on the video yours? So cute!!
Ya those are mine. Still have all of them in the tank. 5 banded, 2 java, and 3 horse faced.

Broggy
ive never had kuli loaches, don't make me jealous!

ZeldaNerd
Joker77 said:
Ya those are mine. Still have all of them in the tank. 5 banded, 2 java, and 3 horse faced.
I've never heard of horse-faced loaches before, oh my gosh I looked them up and they're sooooo cute!!! Do they all act similarly? I've heard different things about java and kuhlis acting differently even though they're related closely.
Broggy said:
ive never had kuli loaches, don't make me jealous!
XD I'm sorry

Joker77
ZeldaNerd said:
I've never heard of horse-faced loaches before, oh my gosh I looked them up and they're sooooo cute!!! Do they all act similarly? I've heard different things about java and kuhlis acting differently even though they're related closely.

XD I'm sorry
Quite a big differance between them all. The javas get a little bigger than the banded loaches and the horse face are the biggest of them all. The java and banded live in the same decoration and co-mingle like in the video. The horse faced pretty much stick to themselves and sleep under the substrate.

It took the guy almost 2 hours to net 3 horse faced loaches for me and that was in a almost bare 10g. I dont think i could possibly catch them in my 90g now.

ZeldaNerd
Joker77 said:
Quite a big differance between them all. The javas get a little bigger than the banded loaches and the horse face are the biggest of them all. The java and banded live in the same decoration and co-mingle like in the video. The horse faced pretty much stick to themselves and sleep under the substrate.

It took the guy almost 2 hours to net 3 horse faced loaches for me and that was in a almost bare 10g. I dont think i could possibly catch them in my 90g now.
That's cool, I didn't know that, and I can't imagine trying to catch them lol! I haven't really researched beyond immediate Kuhlis, at the moment I plan to have my kuhlis for a long while if not for the whole span of this tank. It would be a pipe dream to catch them all as you say if I wanted to haha

Top Bottom