I live in new york and want to sell fish:)

sslliitthheerr

I don't really know how to go about starting a fish breeding and selling business but i would like to. as the title says I live in New York, and I don't know the rules on this or how to go about getting a license because I am pretty young, and I am trying to change my profile age because I recently realized my profile age is not correct so i could really use some advice

86 ssinit

Best advise!! Forget about selling fish! Sorry but there really is no profit here in NY. Best you’ll get is store credit. But most stores aren’t interested. Just cheaper to buy from wholesalers.

sslliitthheerr

Best advise!! Forget about selling fish! Sorry but there really is no profit here in NY. Best you’ll get is store credit. But most stores aren’t interested. Just cheaper to buy from wholesalers.
well i want to start my own bussiness
and quite honestly there is no advise in that at all

86 ssinit

I hear ya but what I’m saying is it’s a big undertaking in NY. Where are you located?

sslliitthheerr

I hear ya but what I’m saying is it’s a big undertaking in NY. Where are you located?
undertaking? sorry i am not familiar with that word

86 ssinit

Lol a lot of work!! Where are you located?

sslliitthheerr

pleasant vally area and i have a means of travel to get to nearby towns. in addition to that i also want to sell online not really to much in person

86 ssinit

Ok there’s a lot to look into. What type of fish do you plan to breed?

Nickguy5467

how selfish of you :p

SparkyJones

sell-fish = Selfish get it? har har har.

I just tried doing this with angelfish, I managed to move 25 to a store for $1.50 store credit per fish, which I used to buy more food for the fish I still have.

I tried a half dozen stores, all of which were more than happy to take them as surrenders, to do me a favor, but not interested in paying for them, one store that wanted to pay 25 cents each maximum, and then that one that I raced over to for the $1.50 per fish store credit which was by far the best offer I got in 2 weeks of looking.

Not worth it, but you won't find that out until you're neck deep in tanks and fish that you have to keep feeding and paying for that you have to get rid of.

Besides the hard part is raising the fish really, trying to offload them without taking a huge loss, possibly trying to break even or it not to cost so much, that's something else, not so much hard as it is stressful.

You actually have to breed them and get some to sell first.
I'd just advise you do that small scale, as a hobby, see if you can do it, and have places to sell them in the quantity you need to sell them to make a profit, then worry about sizing up the operation.
at $1.50 per fish "store credit", this never would replace my job, since I don't get money in my pocket from it. but I'd need to sell 46,000 angelfish a year at that price to cover my annual salary, at one pair producing 300 eggs 2x a month, of which about 100 reach a sellable size,
that's a float of 1800 fry-juveniles cycling every 2 weeks through tanks, about 600 reaching market size every 2 weeks after the first 3 months, with 2/3rds not making it that far, 14,000 annually like that, so I need a minimum 4 pairs breeding without interruptions to make that mark. and placed to sell them for actual money and not store credit. need at least double that to ensure I make the numbers I need.

by the math, I can't see doing it without 10 at least 30g tanks for pairs and 10 pairs, and another 10 55g tanks for growouts, 6 of those for the eggs to move to for the spawns from the 10 pairs every 2 weeks for 3 months, then the other 4 tanks for size sorting to finish grow out to market size to free up the earliest tank for the next two weeks eggs.

It sounds simple at face value,m " I'll breed fish as a business!"
it gets really hard and complicated, and expensive, putting it in practice.

You're actually better off buying 20x 10 or 20g tanks and setting up a fish room and buying fish from an importer or local breeders at the low prices that pet stores give,fish people really want, to sell online instead of breeding them yourself, maybe breed some of them as side money to the fish flipping business.

Guppy, Betta, swordtails, mollies, platties, angelfish, ect. ect. it's all the same really. some don't sell as good as others and some sell good but there's so much available it's not worth it. Like Comet goldfish. the store sells them as feeders for like 10 cents to 25 cents each. how much do you think they are gonna pay for them? clearly not worth breeding them if you are looking to make money.

You're free to do as you like, and see how it goes, I only suggest you start slow, and not put a bunch of money out of pocket until you really see how it goes from start to finish.
Kind of sucks to get stuck with 50 fish you got nowhere to sell them to, in too small of a tank for too long, spending $10 a week to feed, multiply that by thousands of fish, and I'm sure you can see the problem.

I wish ya luck.

LizStreithorst

I have a fish 20'X20" fish roomed filled with tanks. I have been dealing with my LFS for over 20 years so they are good to me. They pay me what they'd have had to pay the wholesaler and give me cash. My relation ship with my store is one in a million. I make decent money selling on Aquabid but learning how to ship is a process of it's own. I breed Discus and Rams. They are hard to breed fish for most people so they bring a good price. Still, I know the fish room costs more that the fish make for me. I keep them because working with the fish gives me pleasure. You won't make diddle with guppies or other live bearers.

86 ssinit

And there you have it :)!! Unfortunately there’s no money in fish breeding!! They gave you all the statistics but one. The amount of time you’ll need to breed and grow out your fish for resale. The cost of water and electric. The hobbiest fish breeder is long gone. Few and very far between. So many think they can sell fish cause they’ve had luck breeding them.

Nickguy5467

just a play on words sell fish. im a dork feel free to ignore me :p

sslliitthheerr

I have a fish 20'X20" fish roomed filled with tanks. I have been dealing with my LFS for over 20 years so they are good to me. They pay me what they'd have had to pay the wholesaler and give me cash. My relation ship with my store is one in a million. I make decent money selling on Aquabid but learning how to ship is a process of it's own. I breed Discus and Rams. They are hard to breed fish for most people so they bring a good price. Still, I know the fish room costs more that the fish make for me. I keep them because working with the fish gives me pleasure. You won't make diddle with guppies or other live bearers.
betta?
sell-fish = Selfish get it? har har har.

I just tried doing this with angelfish, I managed to move 25 to a store for $1.50 store credit per fish, which I used to buy more food for the fish I still have.

I tried a half dozen stores, all of which were more than happy to take them as surrenders, to do me a favor, but not interested in paying for them, one store that wanted to pay 25 cents each maximum, and then that one that I raced over to for the $1.50 per fish store credit which was by far the best offer I got in 2 weeks of looking.

Not worth it, but you won't find that out until you're neck deep in tanks and fish that you have to keep feeding and paying for that you have to get rid of.

Besides the hard part is raising the fish really, trying to offload them without taking a huge loss, possibly trying to break even or it not to cost so much, that's something else, not so much hard as it is stressful.

You actually have to breed them and get some to sell first.
I'd just advise you do that small scale, as a hobby, see if you can do it, and have places to sell them in the quantity you need to sell them to make a profit, then worry about sizing up the operation.
at $1.50 per fish "store credit", this never would replace my job, since I don't get money in my pocket from it. but I'd need to sell 46,000 angelfish a year at that price to cover my annual salary, at one pair producing 300 eggs 2x a month, of which about 100 reach a sellable size,
that's a float of 1800 fry-juveniles cycling every 2 weeks through tanks, about 600 reaching market size every 2 weeks after the first 3 months, with 2/3rds not making it that far, 14,000 annually like that, so I need a minimum 4 pairs breeding without interruptions to make that mark. and placed to sell them for actual money and not store credit. need at least double that to ensure I make the numbers I need.

by the math, I can't see doing it without 10 at least 30g tanks for pairs and 10 pairs, and another 10 55g tanks for growouts, 6 of those for the eggs to move to for the spawns from the 10 pairs every 2 weeks for 3 months, then the other 4 tanks for size sorting to finish grow out to market size to free up the earliest tank for the next two weeks eggs.

It sounds simple at face value,m " I'll breed fish as a business!"
it gets really hard and complicated, and expensive, putting it in practice.

You're actually better off buying 20x 10 or 20g tanks and setting up a fish room and buying fish from an importer or local breeders at the low prices that pet stores give,fish people really want, to sell online instead of breeding them yourself, maybe breed some of them as side money to the fish flipping business.

Guppy, Betta, swordtails, mollies, platties, angelfish, ect. ect. it's all the same really. some don't sell as good as others and some sell good but there's so much available it's not worth it. Like Comet goldfish. the store sells them as feeders for like 10 cents to 25 cents each. how much do you think they are gonna pay for them? clearly not worth breeding them if you are looking to make money.

You're free to do as you like, and see how it goes, I only suggest you start slow, and not put a bunch of money out of pocket until you really see how it goes from start to finish.
Kind of sucks to get stuck with 50 fish you got nowhere to sell them to, in too small of a tank for too long, spending $10 a week to feed, multiply that by thousands of fish, and I'm sure you can see the problem.

I wish Ya luck.
I really appreciate the time you took to give me all of this info and i am taking it very slow and just got my betta and guppy pairs, it was only 100 for the filters and the tubs i am using to start breeding on the cheap side and I also have Grown out tanks for the fry and I am thinking about getting a personal 20-gallon community tank with some fish that will breed with no additional help and maybe have a couple breeding pairs of shrimp in it. I don't plan to cheap out on that tank though because it is my personal one that will be going in the living room:) also whatever extra fish and shrimp come from that tank will just be used to feed the existing fish. the only fish I want to sell for profit are the Betta, this would be my 3rd tank because I also have 2 10 gal tanks with 3 female betta each. so, I only want to breed the guppy and other things to help with those costs because I am a minor and getting money is hard when i am making 25$ a week. I do other things for money to cover those costs though.

on a different note, I am building my parents a fish worthy outdoor water feature and want to put goldfish in it or guppy's or possibly even molly's. if I wanted to do this and sell those outdoor fish should i put a net over the top of the pond and prepare a quarantine tank for when I take the fish inside?
sorry about coming off rude earlier I just did not get tthe joke at the time

DracarysBettasSD

I used to breed and sell fish quite a bit when I lived in NYC! I would highly recommend joining the Brooklyn Aquarium Society and attending their monthly meetings (BROOKLYN AQUARIUM SOCIETY | EDUCATING AQUARISTS SINCE 1911) - they do quite a bit of selling and swapping there among the members. I also used to sell a lot of fancy show-quality guppies on Aquabid.com as well as Craig's List, and to other breeder friends on the Guppy Forum, which looks to have closed down :( As long as you are breeding show-quality stock and know what's popular on the market, you'll always have buyers! I never made a profit, but I was definitely able to support my extensive fish-keeping habit off of my sales. Good luck !

sslliitthheerr

I used to breed and sell fish quite a bit when I lived in NYC! I would highly recommend joining the Brooklyn Aquarium Society and attending their monthly meetings (BROOKLYN AQUARIUM SOCIETY | EDUCATING AQUARISTS SINCE 1911) - they do quite a bit of selling and swapping there among the members. I also used to sell a lot of fancy show-quality guppies on Aquabid.com as well as Craig's List, and to other breeder friends on the Guppy Forum, which looks to have closed down :( As long as you are breeding show-quality stock and know what's popular on the market, you'll always have buyers! I never made a profit, but I was definitely able to support my extensive fish-keeping habit off of my sales. Good luck !
thanks for the help and advise but sadly i do not live in nyc

DracarysBettasSD

thanks for the help and advise but sadly i do not live in nyc
Aw, well in that case, to the Aquabid! Good luck! :)

chromedome52

Odds are there's a fish club somewhere within a couple of hours drive. Most clubs have annual or semiannual auctions, and these are the best way for small scale breeders to move their fish. If they're close enough to make an occasional meeting, most clubs have mini-auctions at the meeting, and you usually get paid in cash.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
The Hunter
Replies
Views
The Aquatic Weasel
Replies
Views
trinity28
Replies
Views