I literally give up.

1. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

Well, went yesterday to get four amano shrimp for my ten gallon after waiting for them for two weeks. I have been having a serious green algae issue and needed help getting rid of it, especially on my dwarf hairgras since its been getting covered and will never get to carpet like that. THEY DIDN'T EVEN LAST TWENTY FOUR HOURS!!! Already this morning I walk to my tank to find all four are literally nonexistent. I moved everything around and found none. Just found one on the floor.. obviously dead.. so I'm assuming they literally all jumped out of the tank, probably being chased or something. So I'm back at square one with the algae.

Cosmo definitely has fin rot and it is more notorious every time. I keep his water pristine, API test kit always shows optimal levels and water changes plus a small dose of bettafix aren't doing anything for him.

The pH in my tank is ANOTHER issue, and the only thing I can come up with that might be giving Cosmo fin rot. It used to be around 7.6 and not I can't get it any higher than a 6.4 at the most.

Next issue? GREEN DOT ALGAE! Covering all my glass and literally impossible to remove. Its brown, ugly and literally doesn't let me even see into my tank any more through two of the glasses. I have tried everything to remove it, nothing works not even scraping it as hard as I can, it's literally stuck to the glass.

Maybe I just wasn't made for fish keeping.

Off to go scavenge for the three remaining shrimp all over the floor of my house now....

2. Nicoldeme Member Member

Oh my gosh you poor thing. I know it sucks now, when I got my fish they had anchorworms, velvet, fin rot, and camellanus worms, but eventually, once everything stabilizes, it'll get better. I promise :)

3. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Just a tip, I use a sterile razor blade to remove hard algae. You can get ones especially for aquariums or you can pick one up at any DIY or craft shops. They work a treat compared to a plastic scraper or a sponge scraper.
    ~Mudkipz

And I'm not sure if they are suitable for your tank but a group of ottos should eat brown algae. Mine definately did! Just remember to feed them algae wafers too as they can't just live on normal algae.
    ~Mudkipz

4. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

But... unfortunately otto's aren't suitable for a tank that size.

5. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Five 97
    Ok, sorry didn't look at his tank specs just gave a suggestion :p What size tank do you have @andrearamirezo91 ? There could be another solution if it is big enough for other types of algae eating fish. If your tank isn't cycled, then that would be why the shrimp died, as shrimp are IME very sensitive to water quality and if ammonia levels were to hit .25ppm they would die. if it isn't cycled, wait until it is and then try adding 3 amano shrimp, one every week so you don't lose all 3 at once if it goes wrong again.
    ~Mudkipz

6. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

No problem! and btw great suggestion, I have some and their great little fellows!

7. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

well the shrimp didn't precisely die, they just kinda.. disappeared. I found just one dead on the floor and I really think they might have just jumped out of the tank trying to get away from my curious betta. Ottos are soooo cute and awesome cleaners but sadly as before mentioned they aren't the best suit for my 10 Gallons :(

Has anyone used the razor on acrylic? I'm scared it'll scrape the tank. I tried rubbing it reeeeally hard with a credit card and it didn't help the slightest bit,. it's literally impossible to get off. And I have no idea how to even start controlling my betta's fin rot when the CO2 keeps bringing my pH down!! Someone mentioned crushed coral but I have also read all over the place that messing with the pH can be worse than just letting it be.

I just feel like my tank is a disaster waiting to happen right now.. :'(

8. AtomicMudkip Member Member

In response to some of your questions, I didn't realise your tank was acrylic, it wouldn't scratch a glass tank but it may scratch an acrylic tank but I've never had one so I don't really know. I'd test it on a small area of the tank first or somewhere that isn't seen much and be very careful if your decide to use it on the whole tank. The scrubber pads IMO are just good for soft algae like brown diatom algae and it would be extremely useful for clearing up any of the soft stuff that may be on your rocks or glass but not so much the hard stuff. Don't bother with changing the pH as fish can adjust to it when put into an environment with a different pH but changing it van have catostrophic results. I have read the horror stories of people using the pH up and down and wiping out a tanks entire population! I'd just leave the pH be. Can anyone suggest an algae eating fish/invertibrate not including the amano shrimp for a 10 gallon?
    Also regarding the fin rot, there are some medications like Betta fix that are very effective against fin rot, however regular water changes and pristine water conditions can sometimes be the best cure! I promise once your tank settles down, the hobby becomes more enjoyable thab stressful! Good luck,
    Hope this helped a little
    ~Mudkipz

9. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I agree with AtomicMudkip don't use a razor blade on an acrylic tank. It will scratch it.

If you are going to adjust your pH, using crushed coral is one of the best ways of doing so. But to explore this issue a little deeper, what is the pH of your tap water (remember to get a true pH of your tap water you have to put some in a container, along with an airstone for 24 hours, then test). Crushed coral will raise your kH which will make your water more resistant to pH changes. It will also raise your pH.

But betta's prefer water with a lower pH, so I don't know that's a problem.

When ever I've had to treat for finrot, I use Vita-Chem and Garlic Guard and plenty of water changes. You can use garlic juice from those little jars of garlic you get at the supermarket. Just soak his food in the garlic juice or Garlic Guard before feeding. I've never found Garlic Guard and Vita-Chem locally, so I had gotten mine form drsfosterandsmith.com

Best of luck!

10. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Don't feel bad, I never had luck with shrimp either! They also jumped out trying to get away from my krib. And the short time I did have them, they were always hiding. Why not try some nerite snails? They're so much better at eating brown algae and they would probably do better with your betta. :)

How long are your lights on? Maybe decrease the hours of light to help prevent more algae from appearing?

I think if you try to deal with one issue at a time with the great advice given by others, you'll start enjoying your tank again. I know it seems overwhelming when you're hit with all the problems at once.

11. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello and...

Have you considered a larger tank until you get the hang of tank management? Your chance of success increases greatly with say, at least a 30 gallon long tank. A 40 gallon breeder is much better. The problem with a small tank is the water chemistry changes quickly because there's nothing to dilute a mistake, so the fish get to live in a tank with water that changes all the time.

Larger tanks maintain temperature, oxygen level, trace elements and dilutes forms of nitrogen much better than small ones, so you have much more time to deal with a water problem.

Consider a larger tank if you're really interested in the water keeping hobby.

Old

12. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

While that may be true for keeping water parameters more stable, that really isn't OP's problem. Further, she has just a betta and shrimp in a 10 gallon which is a large enough tank for those inhabitants.

And the issues she's facing can be had in any tank size. :)

13. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I would try the nerite snail as well but if you are trying to get it off small leaves than get the horned nerites , off the glass than get the zebras or tracked or whatever kind the store has. If too much lighting is a problem you could try removing any plants to a bowl for four days and doing a complete blackout of the tank which might clear it up and get you back on track. Alison

14. Nicoldeme Member Member

I agree with aliray, nerite snails are very good at getting rid of algae. I just got rid of my pleco a while ago, and due to me leaving my lights on forever, algae grew fast. I added a few nerites and most of the algae was gone in a day! My tank is a ten like yours, btw, so they'll do nicely :)

15. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Yes, I'd totally, definitely do nerites!

16. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

Hey guys. Can'nt begin to tell you all how much I appreciate your help. About the bigger tank, I've been wanting one for a while, but being a full time college student and employee while living alone gets hard, especially when you even have to pay for your own school so money is a little tight right now and the bigger tank is gonna have to wait, and when I do get it i'll probably just want to keep both of them lol.

I'm definitely gonna give the nerites a try, but I've read how sometimes they tend to keep digging out recently planted plants so I'm gonna wait till my glosso and DHG root a little better first, meanwhile I guess I'll just have to look at those uggly brown patches on my tank.

But oh my WHAT am I doing wrong with my betta!!!! My water levels are fine every time I test it, and I do water changes twice a week which seems to be okay for a tank with so many plants and such a small bio load. But I woke up today and almost had a heart attack, the fin rot had never gotten this bad, but I noticed a HUGE piece of tail missing today when I went to check on him.

[​IMG]

Guess for now I gotta keep up the water changes daily and maybe increase my dose of bettafix, I usually like to under dose it a little as i'm not a huge fan of medicating my tank. I'm definitely gonna try the garlic too. But this is getting bad and its getting bad really fast, not sure if I should try a more agressive treatment.

17. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

That's advanced fin rot. I have had good outcomes with advanced fin rot like that using furan-2. Betta fix didn't work for my fish but I've heard others say good things. I would say if he's still getting worse to switch to something else. Not necessarily furan-2 (I've only every tried that and bettafix so I'm not an expert on fin rot meds) but maybe look into the options.

18. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, it got terrible from one day to the other would these medications harm my plants?

So... Good and bad news.

Good news, I was doing a gravel vac today and to my surprise I saw one amano! I really think theres only one in there as I haven't seen any more, this guy probably just hides a lot so my betta isn't able to scare him out of the tank. I was soo happy when I saw him just chilling on the driftwood eating away!!

Bad news? Cosmos' fin rot is getting pretty bad, and I wanna stop it before he gets permanent damage to his fins, if I'm not too late already :'( I was gonna go tomorrow to get maracyn and wipe it out once and for all. But I read that maracyn can kill inverts, and I definitely don't wanna kill the resurrected shrimp! :giggle: plus I'm not very confident about maracyn and my cycle, I feel like it would mess with it.

So instead I was thinking about trying the melafix/pimafix combo, what do you say? I usually under dose all these oil based meds and will still be performing 30-40% water changes daily. I did notice today that the green algae growing on some of my dwarf hair grass was holding food residue. The water levels were fine, except for ammonia at .25ppm, maybe it has to do with the excess food I noticed today?

I just recently planted the DHG so I hadn't wanted to vacuum too hard for a few weeks while it rooted, but I think at this point my boy's health is a lot more important. I also soaked his food in garlic.

Feedback? :;dk:;dk

19. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Sounds like your situation is pretty dire! For the fin rot, baring in mind any more meds might be a bit pricey, try giving him concentrated aquarium salt baths, 3-7 mins at a time 1-2x a day for a week. See if this improves it, and if not go back to looking into meds. Sometimes the best cure is clean fresh water and a little salt!
    Hope this works for you and good luck!
    ~Mudkipz

20. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

So I only ever had one plant in my Betta hospital tank but neither medication harmed it. I think your Betta is far far past the clean water and salt treatment. He needs medication as soon as you can get it. I had four Bettas all with advanced fin rot from the same store I rescued and treated all four with Melafix and three died not long after so I stopped treating with that and got the remaining Betta furan-2 and it was cured not too long later. I do hear success stories with Melafix but I honestly don't trust it. I would also heat the tank to 82 if you can. Make sure to remove any carbon in the filter and if you decide to get the furan-2 I will tell you what I did for my cleaning schedule. Also I keep Betta revive on hand at all times because it seems to really perk them up and get them feeling better. I used that and furan-2 on a schedule and that's what worked for my remaining Betta.