I like crabs

CrustaceanDude

I Wana ask pros about crabs and fish set ups.

Kribensis27

Welcome to FishLore!

AggressiveAquatics

What type of crab do you want, freshwater? Or saltwater? Plus it seems you got a free crab lol

Cheesecake

I Wana ask pros about crabs and fish set ups.

Hello! I wouldn't consider myself a pro, but I've kept fiddler crabs for several years. Anything specific you'd like to know?

CrustaceanDude

Hello! I wouldn't consider myself a pro, but I've kept fiddler crabs for several years. Anything specific you'd like to know?

I had a Thai red claw crab who murdered 9 other red claws and kept my 20 gallon to himself for 4 years (1-2 years passed standard life expectancy) I had it filled with water but had an under water "cave" of dry land he learned to know as his dry land. I had all live plants, and 2 biowheels going 2 years before I realized my crab obsession and had him.

Had mostly anubis styled plants (they're waxy and crabs don't like the taste) to supplement the nitrate cycle. And small live fish to give my crab something to do.

Now I want to run a 45+ gallon tank with land and water meeting

Is it OK for the water to permeate Into the sand/gravel substrate below the land? Or do I need to create a barrier? I've done hydroponics and soil grows, it needs circulation. What do I do if I want a halftkand half water set up?

Cheesecake

I had a Thai red claw crab who murdered 9 other red claws and kept my 20 gallon to himself for 4 years (1-2 years passed standard life expectancy) I had it filled with water but had an under water "cave" of dry land he learned to know as his dry land. I had all live plants, and 2 biowheels going 2 years before I realized my crab obsession and had him.

Had mostly anubis styled plants (they're waxy and crabs don't like the taste) to supplement the nitrate cycle. And small live fish to give my crab something to do.

Now I want to run a 45+ gallon tank with land and water meeting

Is it OK for the water to permeate Into the sand/gravel substrate below the land? Or do I need to create a barrier? I've done hydroponics and soil grows, it needs circulation. What do I do if I want a halftkand half water set up?

It would probably be ok for the water to permeate, you would have to watch out for erosion. Depending on the species, the crabs would mess that faster then you can put it back together.
Half land half water would probably be better, although with a barrier they don't look as good.

CrustaceanDude

It would probably be ok for the water to permeate, you would have to watch out for erosion. Depending on the species, the crabs would mess that faster then you can put it back together.
Half land half water would probably be better, although with a barrier they don't look as good.

Okay sweet!!! My worst fear is mold growing In the substrate, should I run an undergravel filter? And Have an intake under the land? Or just do hills of rocks and sand in between? But sloping down into the water?

I've had scorpions, cockroaches and milipedes, and if moisture and water are a factor, mold is always a factor too.... I love arthropods and crustaceans, so I imagine in a crustacean habit, water must be moving abiet slowly where the tank water permeates.
Do you think a bio-chamber beneath the land (clay pebbles with lots of surface area to let nitrate eating bacteria thrive) with a bubbler insider to keep it aerated, will help? I'm what you would call a min-maxer.
Thanks already!! I know I can just tetra form, but "ick" and mold are very deadly factors.

I've even thought of running a plant and algae based filter below my main tank to have a complete and proper cycle....only saltwater setups do that, but I feel it's be even better to fresh water/brackish. It's hard to "over filter" a freshwater tank if it's established

EntirelyEm

What type of crab do you want, freshwater? Or saltwater? Plus it seems you got a free crab lol

It never occurred to me that there could be fresh water crabs :0
you just blew my mind!!!!

CrustaceanDude

Oh yes, definitely, they're brackish water though. They tend to live in the areas where the river meets the sea, so it's slightly salty.

Thai red claw crabs are the most fun

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
americanninja
40 Gallon Tank New Red Claw Crab Owner
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
richiep