I learned something interesting about UG today...

Fishstery

Today I learned something very interesting about utricularia graminifolia!

I recently just started my first co2 injected setup 12 days ago. Naturally I was feeling ambitious and after having half decent success with UG in my emersed pond tank I decided to try it submerged and so far all I can say is wow. I'm very pleased with the luck I'm having with it and it is probably the fastest growing plant in the tank right now. After the first trim it decided to be nice to me and start spreading runners.

Today I came home from work and inspected the tank again to find what I originally thought were pearls but upon closer inspection I realized it was something else, tiny things anchored to all my UG leaves and only the UG. I instantly panicked and thought they were bugs, or possibly snail eggs because im still plucking baby pest snails here and there that managed to stay hidden during the rescape. I remembered reading about UG, and how it was actually a carnivorous plant with tiny "bladders" that it uses to trap microfauna and consume it, and that's how it gets its nutrients. After a quick Google search, I learned that these are in fact bladders. And they are EVERYWHERE. I haven't experienced this in my other tank, but the UG in the co2 tank is much healthier and happier. Anyways, here's a picture for you guys, the blue circle is regular pearling, and the red circle is one of the teeny-tiny bladders :)

20210617_194603.jpg

Mudminnow

I've not seen that before. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

Fishstery

I've not seen that before. Thanks for sharing.
I figured I would share because there isn't much on the internet actually depicting the bladders, I'm unsure if this happens with all UG, or just under certain conditions because as you can see from the picture they are covering the entire mass of UG. Other closeup photos I've seen don't show any bladders so I find it intriguing.

Upvote 0

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom