I know my Water needs some Big Time help!!!

1. YoSoyCero0 Initiate Member

Man, my TinFoil Barbs have been acting up lately. Not eating and they freak when I get near the tank. I've noticed their color has darkened a little bit and they're not eating. Man, one of them the other day, he freaked, shot up the side of the tank and knocked himself silly. He was swimming upside-down for about 2 minutes and then he uprighted himslef and was fine. I think he's don that a couple of times. Anyways, my water needs some serious attention soon. I was recommended to put Sand in there and forget the Rock-Gravel. How do I filter that sand + I have 2 Eels? By the looks of my redins for the water, I believe something is seriously wrong. Thanks for the advice. Peace.

2. kribensis keeper Member Member

unusal i dont have an answer but just see what others have to say

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore :)

Do you know or can you get your readings for ammonia and nitrite?
    Your nitrates are way too high. Ideally, they should be less than 20.
    You're right about the water being out of whack.

What is your water change routine? The nitrates indicate you don't change it as often as you should. Once a week or two depending on your stock is recommended.

Imo, you should begin a series of 2 twice daily water changes to get the nitrate down.
    Since it's so high, we don't want to shock your fish.
    Yes, even good water when they're been in bad can be harmful to them.
    If it were me, I'd do 25% now.
    I guess it's too late where you are to do another tonight.
    Tomorrow, I'd recommend 25% in the morning then 25% in the evening.
    Continue that until the nitrates are around 10-20.
    The you should be able to switch to one 25% change a week unless your ammonia and nitrites are high.

If yo can get those readings, we can go from there.

Best of luck, I hope your fish feel better.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fishlore. Lucy's right that your readings would be helpful. You should also read the page about the nitrogen cycle. :)

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Excellent advice above.

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member