I keep loosing fish.. pls help

Antonia

Reaction score
Hi, I need Fish help. I have had fish 10yrs and never had a problem this bad. I have a 400 liter tank and did have African Cichlids cutting a long story short my electrics blew while on holiday (June) and I lost all but my plecostomus overy night. Cleaned the tank throughout removing the gravel also. Done a 50% water change then a 30% water change 2 days later. Changed the filter media 1 week after as I didn't want a bacteria bloom changing too much. Water was crystal clear and levels were spot on. I kept the tank going for my pleco but lost my passion to put more fish in after the the catastrophic event. Now 4 weeks ago I found my mojo and have opted for the calmer fish. Cardinal Neons, Rams, Odessa Barbs and Platys, rummy nose tetras. checked the tank water all ok bought the fish and introduced them to their new home. Noticed something wrong with the ram 2 round balls inside him and a lump of red coming from the rear. Took him back to the shop who said it could be a parasitic worm but it would not effect the rest of the fish. I also noticed the beginning of white spot so bought medication the shop kept the ram. Treated the tank day 1,2,3 and 6, turned the temp up to 28. day 2 lost a fish ever 3hrs, day 3 lost another 6 done a 30%water change lost more again day 4,5,6,7,8 done another water change on day 5,7,9.
Practically lost all my fish now and don't know what else to do. Tested the water and all is showing ok. White spot still looks visable on 1 or 2 fish but I have finished the medication. I think there might be a fungus problem too. If a fish dies its looks fluffy but I don't see it when there alive. Another 2 dead fish today, 2 stuck to the filter outlet where they seem too lathargic to swim away from it. Please help I have never in my fish years had a issue this bad that has almost wiped the whole tank out.
Thanks

Matt68046

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would suggest Acriflavin/Victoria Green. You can find it at Walmart called "ick clear" or something.

Chris99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome, sorry for all the issues.

When you say tested and everything is OK, what exactly are you testing for? My guess is your tank is no longer cycled for the new bioload. What exactly are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

Matt68046

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
can you take out a sick fish and put it in a clear glass jar or bowl and take a picture...your description of symptoms is a little vague. "I think there might be a fungus problem too" usually fungus does not kill at a fast rate, so I'm gonna say this is probably secondary, and that a bacterial infection is probably the root cause of your fish deaths. Google Columnaris.

BGKFan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Agreeing with the posts here. Your parameters are "fine" unfortunately doesn't tell us much... For all we know you may think 2.00 ppm ammonia is "fine"(its not). Also you did likely stress your bacteria starting at least a minI cycle which led to stress fish which led to them becoming sick. Some medications will actually kill your cycle(leading to more problems) My personal preferred treatment of ich is to bring up your temp to 86 degrees(30 Celsius) and do plenty of gravel vacs/water changes for no less than 2 weeks.imo this is less stressful on your fish(and almost necessary for scaleless variety) When you bring up the temperature of your water there is less dissolved oxygen for your fish so lowering your water level to allow your filter to create more surface agitation is important.Are you sure its fuzzy rather than a deteriorating pecked at fish?

New Threads