I just was gavin a tank with knowing nothing about it pls help Help 

MissPanda

Valued Member
Messages
256
Reaction score
300
Points
108
I feel for you, what a bad situation. If it were me I'd want to tell the person they're not getting their fish back....but I guess you cant because you might get your stepdad fired. Some people are such complete idiots, how do you not research before you buy?

Any chance your stepdad is on your side with the whole fish abuse thing? If he is, you could always tell the boss the fish died and keep them. Quarantine both in separate totes. Eventually add the gourami to your own tropical tank and buy a cheap 20 gallon used for the gold fish. Kijiji always has cheap tanks for sale that come with everything.

If you couldn't keep them you could rehome them after nursing them back to health too.
 

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
699
Points
313
Experience
More than 10 years
Do water changes with the same temperature it is right now in their tank. It doesn't matter right now the individual temperature differences. They just need some clean water. Do a little bit at a time. Do you know what the Nitrate and ammonia is in the tank? Do a little bit every day. You don't want to shock them with drastically different water.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #23

fishplace

New Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
18
Points
8
Experience
Just started
MissPanda said:
I feel for you, what a bad situation. If it were me I'd want to tell the person they're not getting their fish back....but I guess you cant because you might get your stepdad fired. Some people are such complete idiots, how do you not research before you buy?

Any chance your stepdad is on your side with the whole fish abuse thing? If he is, you could always tell the boss the fish died and keep them. Quarantine both in separate totes. Eventually add the gourami to your own tropical tank and buy a cheap 20 gallon used for the gold fish. Kijiji always has cheap tanks for sale that come with everything.

If you couldn't keep them you could rehome them after nursing them back to health too.
ok so i just got news that the gold fish and the other fish live in a 20 gallon tank at home they just gave me the 2.5 becuse it is "easy to own and care for" and also there use to be 3 fish and my stepdads boss let somone ealse care for them when the boss left out of town and one fish died and now the boss really does not "like" the guy and i don't think my step dad is on myside he just said to leave it be and to just feed them once a day in the morning i was like no those fish are huge they need to feed once in the morning and before i go to bed i do that and i can't really keep the fish all i can really do if i don't want to risk anything is just feed and trun on and off the lights because if mess with waterchanges i could mess everthing up but i have really been trying and instead of feeding the poor food that they gave me i feed a brand i trust and use for my own fish and the goldfish and other seem to love the food i feed much better then what they gave me

StarGirl15 said:
Do water changes with the same temperature it is right now in their tank. It doesn't matter right now the individual temperature differences. They just need some clean water. Do a little bit at a time. Do you know what the Nitrate and ammonia is in the tank? Do a little bit every day. You don't want to shock them with drastically different water.
ok i will try i will test the water for ammonia because that is all i have right now and i will be soon getting a master test kit i feel really bad for them i mean they could have just gavin me like a 5 gallon not a 2.5 or whatever the fish have no were to swim and i feel if i maybe just take out like a cup and replace it them it might be ok i just don't want to do a water change then they die cause i am not use to cold water only warm
 

MissPanda

Valued Member
Messages
256
Reaction score
300
Points
108
Or even remhome them after you've nurses them back to health if you cant keep
fishplace said:
ok so i just got news that the gold fish and the other fish live in a 20 gallon tank at home they just gave me the 2.5 becuse it is "easy to own and care for" and also there use to be 3 fish and my stepdads boss let somone ealse care for them when the boss left out of town and one fish died and now the boss really does not "like" the guy and i don't think my step dad is on myside he just said to leave it be and to just feed them once a day in the morning i was like no those fish are huge they need to feed once in the morning and before i go to bed i do that and i can't really keep the fish all i can really do if i don't want to risk anything is just feed and trun on and off the lights because if mess with waterchanges i could mess everthing up but i have really been trying and instead of feeding the poor food that they gave me i feed a brand i trust and use for my own fish and the goldfish and other seem to love the food i feed much better then what they gave me
What a jeeeerk. I wouldn't doubt he gave that guy the same tiny tank and then had the audacity to blame him after 1 died. You should tell your dad to suggest an automatic feeder to him, would cause less stress for the fish in the long run.
 

shrimpforever777

Valued Member
Messages
346
Reaction score
120
Points
68
Experience
Just started
Would you have access to a couple of large plastic totes that you could set up like a quarantine? If you do I can send you a video on how to do it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #26

fishplace

New Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
18
Points
8
Experience
Just started
shrimpforever777 said:
Would you have access to a couple of large plastic totes that you could set up like a quarantine? If you do I can send you a video on how to do it.
at this time i don't and i am really scare to even do a water change with them cuase i don't want to stress them out and them die i don't know anything about wrer they use to live or anything like that or what temp the water should be so idk what to do anymore today is day 1 not counting yesterday the owner is most likely on the plane to mexico and i have just went on my plane to stress and bad stuff i have to last for like 6 more days or 7 idk

shrimpforever777 said:
Would you have access to a couple of large plastic totes that you could set up like a quarantine? If you do I can send you a video on how to do it.
at this time i don't and i am really scare to even do a water change with them cuase i don't want to stress them out and them die i don't know anything about wrer they use to live or anything like that or what temp the water should be so idk what to do anymore today is day 1 not counting yesterday the owner is most likely on the plane to mexico and i have just went on my plane to stress and bad stuff i have to last for like 6 more days or 7 idk

MissPanda said:
Or even remhome them after you've nurses them back to health if you cant keep


What a jeeeerk. I wouldn't doubt he gave that guy the same tiny tank and then had the audacity to blame him after 1 died. You should tell your dad to suggest an automatic feeder to him, would cause less stress for the fish in the long run.
yeah i will tell him and let him know i just know nothing about there fish tank at the owners house my step dad said that he has a 20 gallon tank for the goldfish and the snail and also the other fish but i don't know how it is scaped or what fliter they have if they even have a fliter i don't even know if they do water changes or how they do them but the 2.5 gallon is really scaped nice and looks really good there is a moss ball in there and everthing is like in the center of the tank
 

shrimpforever777

Valued Member
Messages
346
Reaction score
120
Points
68
Experience
Just started
Do you have fish of your own? If so maybe you could test the water and see how bad it is. Is there any way you could talk to you stepdad or another adult and see if they could take you to the dollar tree to get a couple of containers? I think your best bet will be to take care of them to the best of your ability and educate him (respectfully) on why this is not okay, maybe more of a suggestion type thing. You'll 100% have to do water changes on that thing, if you can test it that should tell how much water will need to be changed.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #28

fishplace

New Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
18
Points
8
Experience
Just started
shrimpforever777 said:
Do you have fish of your own? If so maybe you could test the water and see how bad it is. Is there any way you could talk to you stepdad or another adult and see if they could take you to the dollar tree to get a couple of containers? I think your best bet will be to take care of them to the best of your ability and educate him (respectfully) on why this is not okay, maybe more of a suggestion type thing. You'll 100% have to do water changes on that thing, if you can test it that should tell how much water will need to be changed.
ok i own a a tropcal 29 gallon tank with heathey fish that i care for my best i have a ammonia test kit and will try to test it right now and the fish i am careing for right now have a 20 gallon tank at the owners home but i just don't know how to do a cold water change and scare if i just mess it up a little the fish could die also i like the idea but idk about the filter or water temp and everthing ealse the ammonia in the tank is about a 2.0
 

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Messages
2,023
Reaction score
1,757
Points
173
Ah, I see now, a 20 gallon. So it is pretty much as I guessed with the temporary 'guest house' tank. Clearly the owner doesn't know anything about fish.

I'm going to give you the advice - that I am sure most experienced keepers would agree with, and I'm saying that to convince you - to do the exact opposite of what you are doing:
  1. Stop feeding them. Just don't feed them for a week. Adult fish can go without feeding for over 10 days without any serious problems. If you don't feed them, they will poop a lot less (and after a few days possibly not at all) which means ammonia build-up in the tank will be significantly lower. The more you feed them, the more the water will foul and both those fish have WAY too big a bioload for that tank for it to be sustainable if you feed them, even if they eat everything. Just don't feed them this week, or if you feel to bad about that, feed them once in the middle of the week and once on the last day. No more! It really isn't necessary and given their environment especially feeding them twice a day may mean you would need multiple daily water changes to keep the water clean.
  2. DO water changes!! I know you said you won't do that to not 'disturb' their environment, but if you do nothing their environment will deteriorate every few hours. Significantly. Your tap water may be different, so how about you do 30% changes the first few days and 50% changes after that? That won't risk shocking them at all and significantly increase their health.
They won't last the week if you keep feeding them and don't do any water changes!
(Note that none of this is meant to be a reprimand, you did not create this situation and frankly shouldn't be responsible for dealing with it, but the owner sounds like a jerk so you'll probably have to. I say it with some urging to try and convince you in order to avoid the otherwise likely terrible outcome) And that above is the best way to do that for now if you can't get them a 4 gallon bucket or something to house in (yes, even that would be better as long as the bucket is new or was never cleaned with soap)
The fish don't give a hoot if there are nice pebbles or a moss ball in their tank, frankly, what they need is clean water and if at all possible, swimming space.
 

shrimpforever777

Valued Member
Messages
346
Reaction score
120
Points
68
Experience
Just started
fishplace said:
ok i own a a tropcal 29 gallon tank with heathey fish that i care for my best i have a ammonia test kit and will try to test it right now and the fish i am careing for right now have a 20 gallon tank at the owners home but i just don't know how to do a cold water change and scare if i just mess it up a little the fish could die also i like the idea but idk about the filter or water temp and everthing ealse the ammonia in the tank is about a 2.0
Wow! 2.0? You definitely need to do a water change! Just go by feel, unless you have a spare thermometer.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #31

fishplace

New Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
18
Points
8
Experience
Just started
shrimpforever777 said:
Wow! 2.0? You definitely need to do a water change! Just go by feel, unless you have a spare thermometer.
i have a thermometer i could use i just am scare becuse i have never did a water change with cold water fish only warm water idk what temp to make it or if i take out to much or wait to long
 

shrimpforever777

Valued Member
Messages
346
Reaction score
120
Points
68
Experience
Just started
fishplace said:
i have a thermometer i could use i just am scare becuse i have never did a water change with cold water fish only warm water idk what temp to make it or if i take out to much or wait to long
Well, since this seems to be the only option at the moment go ahead and stick the thermometer in the little tank to see where it is at.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #33

fishplace

New Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
18
Points
8
Experience
Just started
PascalKrypt said:
Ah, I see now, a 20 gallon. So it is pretty much as I guessed with the temporary 'guest house' tank. Clearly the owner doesn't know anything about fish.

I'm going to give you the advice - that I am sure most experienced keepers would agree with, and I'm saying that to convince you - to do the exact opposite of what you are doing:
  1. Stop feeding them. Just don't feed them for a week. Adult fish can go without feeding for over 10 days without any serious problems. If you don't feed them, they will poop a lot less (and after a few days possibly not at all) which means ammonia build-up in the tank will be significantly lower. The more you feed them, the more the water will foul and both those fish have WAY too big a bioload for that tank for it to be sustainable if you feed them, even if they eat everything. Just don't feed them this week, or if you feel to bad about that, feed them once in the middle of the week and once on the last day. No more! It really isn't necessary and given their environment especially feeding them twice a day may mean you would need multiple daily water changes to keep the water clean.
  2. DO water changes!! I know you said you won't do that to not 'disturb' their environment, but if you do nothing their environment will deteriorate every few hours. Significantly. Your tap water may be different, so how about you do 30% changes the first few days and 50% changes after that? That won't risk shocking them at all and significantly increase their health.
They won't last the week if you keep feeding them and don't do any water changes!
(Note that none of this is meant to be a reprimand, you did not create this situation and frankly shouldn't be responsible for dealing with it, but the owner sounds like a jerk so you'll probably have to. I say it with some urging to try and convince you in order to avoid the otherwise likely terrible outcome) And that above is the best way to do that for now if you can't get them a 4 gallon bucket or something to house in (yes, even that would be better as long as the bucket is new or was never cleaned with soap)
The fish don't give a hoot if there are nice pebbles or a moss ball in their tank, frankly, what they need is clean water and if at all possible, swimming space.
i agree with u i will for now on only feed them like once in the center of the week i will also try to do small water changes everday i will try my best and thank you for all this info i have a 5 gallon bucket i use for water changes will that work

shrimpforever777 said:
Well, since this seems to be the only option at the moment go ahead and stick the thermometer in the little tank to see where it is at.
ok it is at around the 70s
 

NathJK

Valued Member
Messages
73
Reaction score
75
Points
28
Experience
3 years
Just keep it alive and give it back. You might kill it with live if you try to help it.
 

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Messages
1,106
Reaction score
1,209
Points
183
Experience
More than 10 years
fishplace said:
ok i own a a tropcal 29 gallon tank with heathey fish that i care for my best i have a ammonia test kit and will try to test it right now and the fish i am careing for right now have a 20 gallon tank at the owners home but i just don't know how to do a cold water change and scare if i just mess it up a little the fish could die also i like the idea but idk about the filter or water temp and everthing ealse the ammonia in the tank is about a 2.0
@fishplace, you are a very caring fish keeper and I can tell you are thinking ahead about all the possible things that could happen to these fish while in your care, you are amazing! Follow what the other members are suggesting, a 5 gallon bucket will be fine to keep them in, a sponge filter for filtration, limit the food to next to none, make sure the water is the same temp as the little tank they came out of, and use about 8 drops of Prime to your bucket. They will have a better chance this way thanks to YOU! :)
 

NathJK

Valued Member
Messages
73
Reaction score
75
Points
28
Experience
3 years
Elkwatcher said:
@fishplace, you are a very caring fish keeper and I can tell you are thinking ahead about all the possible things that could happen to these fish while in your care, you are amazing! Follow what the other members are suggesting, a 5 gallon bucket will be fine to keep them in, a sponge filter for filtration, limit the food to next to none, make sure the water is the same temp as the little tank they came out of, and use about 8 drops of Prime to your bucket. They will have a better chance this way thanks to YOU! :)
While I agree about being caring it's not the ops fish. Putting it in a clean bucket of water might just kill it if it's been living in a small dirty tank. It's only a week. Just keep it alive and return it. The owners not gonna be happy if you kill it and then say oh yeah I put it in a big bucket.......not gonna go down well.
 

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Messages
1,106
Reaction score
1,209
Points
183
Experience
More than 10 years
NathJK said:
While I agree about being caring it's not the ops fish. Putting it in a clean bucket of water might just kill it if it's been living in a small dirty tank. It's only a week. Just keep it alive and return it. The owners not gonna be happy if you kill it and then say oh yeah I put it in a big bucket.......not gonna go down well.
The ammonia is 2.0 should the fish die by ammonia poisoning instead! Either way it's not a good scene. In essence the owner is killing his own fish by lack of knowledge.
 

NathJK

Valued Member
Messages
73
Reaction score
75
Points
28
Experience
3 years
Elkwatcher said:
The ammonia is 2.0 should the fish die by ammonia poisoning instead! Either way it's not a good scene. In essence the owner is killing his own fish by lack of knowledge.
How long has it lived like that? Seems like they're pretty big fish. They're not the ops fish.
 

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Messages
2,023
Reaction score
1,757
Points
173
NathJK said:
How long has it lived like that? Seems like they're pretty big fish. They're not the ops fish.
fishplace said:
ok so i just got news that the gold fish and the other fish live in a 20 gallon tank at home they just gave me the 2.5 becuse it is "easy to own and care for" and also there use to be 3 fish and my stepdads boss let somone ealse care for them when the boss left out of town and one fish died and now the boss really does not "like" the guy and i don't think my step dad is on myside he just said to leave it be and to just feed them once a day in the morning i was like no those fish are huge they need to feed once in the morning and before i go to bed i do that and i can't really keep the fish all i can really do if i don't want to risk anything is just feed and trun on and off the lights because if mess with waterchanges i could mess everthing up but i have really been trying and instead of feeding the poor food that they gave me i feed a brand i trust and use for my own fish and the goldfish and other seem to love the food i feed much better then what they gave me


ok i will try i will test the water for ammonia because that is all i have right now and i will be soon getting a master test kit i feel really bad for them i mean they could have just gavin me like a 5 gallon not a 2.5 or whatever the fish have no were to swim and i feel if i maybe just take out like a cup and replace it them it might be ok i just don't want to do a water change then they die cause i am not use to cold water only warm
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom