I just was gavin a tank with knowing nothing about it pls help Help 

fishplace

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so my step dad just came in with a fish tank looks to be a 2 or 4 gallon tank it has a goldfish and a snail and a fish whitch i can't tell what breed it is they are huge in the tank and idk what to do my step dad said that this is his bossis tank and i need to take care of them he gave me no info and the goldfish has white spots on it it could be ick but the other fish does not i need help i have to whatch these fish for a week and the fish are my step dads bossis so if these fish die idk what will happen the goldfish is always picking at the gravel and moving a lot why the other fish whitch i think is a gorume is not that hiper the goldfish will eat aything and the other fish sits there i just looked at the filter pad and saw that it was like BLACK FULL OF POOP LIKE A LOT should i change it also i did a water change on it and found out that gourmis can only go 1 to 2 days without eating and i was feeding them once in the morning ever other day i was like killing him/her
IMG_20191121_195818.jpg
IMG_20191121_195810.jpg

KingJamal2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It looks like a gourami. I would take those fish out immediately. That tank is wayyyyy to small for a goldfish, let alone a goldfish and a gourami. Is there a filter in the tank?

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If possible UPGRADE IMMEDIATELY! Those fish are way too small for a tank that size! If you can’t upgrade then do daily 80-90% water changes!

KingJamal2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jkkgron2 said:
If possible UPGRADE IMMEDIATELY! Those fish are way too small for a tank that size! If you can’t upgrade then do daily 80-90% water changes!
Could not agree more. That gourami shouldn’t even be in a tank that small!

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah a Gourami and a goldfish would need a MUCH LARGER TANK ASAP

fishplace

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
KingJamal2 said:
It looks like a gourami. I would take those fish out immediately. That tank is wayyyyy to small for a goldfish, let alone a goldfish and a gourami. Is there a filter in the tank?
there is a tiny filter and i am being paid to care of the fish all i have is a 29 gallon tank tropcal and the goldfish is not tropcal i checked the temp and it is in the 70s which is not good for the other fish i think if i put the groume in my tank it will get all my other fish fish sick idk what to do

jkkgron2 said:
Yeah a Gourami and a goldfish would need a MUCH LARGER TANK ASAP
i know that but it is my step dads bossis tank that is going away for a week that i need to take care of the frist thing i said is that tank is way to small for a fish that can grow 3.5 in and a goldfish that can grow i don't enev know but he did give me fish food and it is tropical flakes japi and i think the food is stalled so i said the goldfish is not a troplcal fish there is not even a heater idk even know if i should do water changes cuse there is a goldfish and a tropical fish

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DON"T put anyone else's fish in your own tanks, especially stressed and possibly sick fish. Very unfair to have this put upon you I feel.

fishplace

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jkkgron2 said:
i would do water changes but there is a goldfish and a tropical fish i don't know what temp to set it at i checked the temp and it is in the 70s i can't put it in my 29 gallon because it is a tropical fish tank and the groume is use to 70s water not in the 80s the goldfish could not live there for the same reasons and also the groume is tropical but i think it will get all my other fish sick if i put it in the tank

KingJamal2 said:
i did resreach and found that the gourami can grow up to 3.5 in and both of the fish look to be at max there is no room and the food he gave me is stall they are tropical flakes the goldfish is super up and ready the gourami barly moves maybe becuse there is no room but the goldfish i tryed to see if it would eat goldfish flakes it did it also ate my good brand of tropical flakes that i use and the gourmi just sat there

Cometbetta

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Maybe you could repurpose some watertight big plastic bin temporarily while they are in your care. It's really too bad you were put in this spot. As the fish will have to return to their owner in their original tank unless their owner decides to upgrade their enviroment. Best of luck! I think you are right not to put them in with your other fish.

fishplace

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Elkwatcher said:
DON"T put anyone else's fish in your own tanks, especially stressed and possibly sick fish. Very unfair to have this put upon you I feel.
yeah i feel bad for the fish that i just got to fish sit for a week and my fish is sick that i have been trying to fix for a while so it would be unfair to put two maybe sick fish with my maybe sick fish there is also a snail in the tank that i just got

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You shouldn't have to upgrade someone else's fish.. you could put the goldfish in another larger container with a bubbler or sponge if you have one, and do water changes with prime ( no cycle?) Check the temperature of the water that you're moving it from and make the new water the same. This is not a good scenario for you or the fish. Sorry.

fishplace

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cometbetta said:
Maybe you could repurpose some watertight big plastic bin temporarily while they are in your care. It's really too bad you were put in this spot. As the fish will have to return to their owner in their original tank unless their owner decides to upgrade their enviroment. Best of luck! I think you are right not to put them in with your other fish.
i would do your idea but i don't have any at this monet and i think if i do put them in a new lace they will get stressed and die the owner as far as i know is not upgrader there tank and i don't think i should put them in with my fish 29 gallon tank because my fish is maybe sick and these fish that i don't know nothing about could be sick and i don't want to risk puting a goldfish in a tropical tank and a gorume that is use to cold water in warm water so idk what to do

Elkwatcher said:
You shouldn't have to upgrade someone else's fish.. you could put the goldfish in another larger container with a bubbler or sponge if you have one, and do water changes with prime ( no cycle?) Check the temperature of the water that you're moving it from and make the new water the same. This is not a good scenario for you or the fish. Sorry.
at this time the only other tank i have is a one gallon and also a normal storger bin i just think if i move the goldfish into a tank then back to its home it will freak out and die i don't know what to do for this week of fish sitting

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There is no way that goldfish and especially that gourami would have grown to that size without dying or stunting if they had been in that tank for long.
It looks like you were giving this small tank because it was 'easy to keep them in there for a week' and their tank at home is probably bigger. That or he recently bought them and put them in there and their death is inevitable.

Do water changes down to as low a water level as possible (doesn't matter if the gourami flops on its side, as long as they are still covered in water you are good), every single day. This will help keep the ich at bay too.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fishplace said:
at this time the only other tank i have is a one gallon and also a normal storger bin i just think if i move the goldfish into a tank then back to its home it will freak out and die i don't know what to do for this week of fish sitting
I know you are trying your best, you have been put in a hard place. If the goldfish has ICH all the fish are going to get it wether you do water changes or not. It is not your responsibility to treat sick fish I would be giving them back to your step father so he can contact the owner about it and the adults deal with it!

fishplace

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PascalKrypt said:
There is no way that goldfish and especially that gourami would have grown to that size without dying or stunting if they had been in that tank for long.
It looks like you were giving this small tank because it was 'easy to keep them in there for a week' and their tank at home is probably bigger. That or he recently bought them and put them in there and their death is inevitable.

Do water changes down to as low a water level as possible (doesn't matter if the gourami flops on its side, as long as they are still covered in water you are good), every single day. This will help keep the ich at bay too.
the only info i had from my step dad is that if they have lived they for there hole lives then they will do fine for a week and also the fish when you go to tank are really happy going to the top for food runny around to get to you they will even let you pet them so i think they have had them for a long time idk with water changes idk what temp to make it because there is a goldfish and a gourami the goldfish is a coldwater fish while the gourami is warm water they are both really big fish and the fish don't even accake eachother whitch makes me beleave that they grew up together

Elkwatcher said:
I know you are trying your best, you have been put in a hard place. If the goldfish has ICH all the fish are going to get it wether you do water changes or not. It is not your responsibility to treat sick fish I would be giving them back to your step father so he can contact the owner about it and the adults deal with it!
well i don't if the goldfish has ick at this piont becuse worldit the other fish have ich to and my step dad said that the owner is going to mexico for a week so i have to wach them i really don't know what to do

TheeLadyG

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's a myth that goldfish are cold water fish. The Goldfish will be fine at a higher temperature. My goldfish tank is regularly between 72 and 80 degrees with no heater, because my house is so warm. As I understand it, temperatures over 85 can be stressful for goldfish. It'll be fine to make it warmer.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
fishplace said:
the only info i had from my step dad is that if they have lived they for there hole lives then they will do fine for a week and also the fish when you go to tank are really happy going to the top for food runny around to get to you they will even let you pet them so i think they have had them for a long time idk with water changes idk what temp to make it because there is a goldfish and a gourami the goldfish is a coldwater fish while the gourami is warm water they are both really big fish and the fish don't even accake eachother whitch makes me beleave that they grew up together
I seriously doubt you can healthily raise a three-spot gourami to full adult size in an unheated, cold 2.5 gallon (from the looks of it) which it barely fits in from side to side and which has another large fish in it, to boot. I just don't. Anyone dedicated enough to do the right thing to sort of make it work (religious large daily water changes with vacuuming) would certainly have researched and know that a three-spot needs a warmer temperature and a larger tank. Those fish can barely swim. They must have no muscles to speak of. That can't possibly be healthy in any shape or form. I doubt he is telling the whole truth.

Anyhow, ignoring all that. If refusing or returning the fish is not an option, call them and ask them for detailed care instructions. How many water changes do they do, how do they do them? What temperature should the water be? Then just follow that protocol. Not your fault if something goes wrong in that case, since you just did what you were asked to do.

(P.S. just because the fish had been fine for years doesn't mean something could not go wrong with the same care in this scenario. Moving a fish with a tank is very stressful and can trigger problems, their disastrous environment will quickly turn that into a fiasco. Similarly, his house may have been far warmer than yours than is perhaps how he got away with keeping a three-spot in an unheated tank).

fishplace

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PascalKrypt said:
I seriously doubt you can healthily raise a three-spot gourami to full adult size in an unheated, cold 2.5 gallon (from the looks of it) which it barely fits in from side to side and which has another large fish in it, to boot. I just don't. Anyone dedicated enough to do the right thing to sort of make it work (religious large daily water changes with vacuuming) would certainly have researched and know that a three-spot needs a warmer temperature and a larger tank. Those fish can barely swim. They must have no muscles to speak of. That can't possibly be healthy in any shape or form. I doubt he is telling the whole truth.

Anyhow, ignoring all that. If refusing or returning the fish is not an option, call them and ask them for detailed care instructions. How many water changes do they do, how do they do them? What temperature should the water be? Then just follow that protocol. Not your fault if something goes wrong in that case, since you just did what you were asked to do.

(P.S. just because the fish had been fine for years doesn't mean something could not go wrong with the same care in this scenario. Moving a fish with a tank is very stressful and can trigger problems, their disastrous environment will quickly turn that into a fiasco. Similarly, his house may have been far warmer than yours than is perhaps how he got away with keeping a three-spot in an unheated tank).
yeah me two i will try to call and i have done resrech about the fish and i don't think that they are healthy ither i mean how could they be

TheeLadyG said:
It's a myth that goldfish are cold water fish. The Goldfish will be fine at a higher temperature. My goldfish tank is regularly between 72 and 80 degrees with no heater, because my house is so warm. As I understand it, temperatures over 85 can be stressful for goldfish. It'll be fine to make it warmer.
ok thanks but i maybe think that if maybe your goldfish have lived with non coldwater there whole life so they are use to it not being rude just saying

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hummmm if I were put in that situation I'd get either a couple Rubbermaid type totes, filters and a heater and ich meds. I'd then tell the owner he/she can have the tank back and I'm keeping the neglected fish and I'd end by saying Good Day To You!

fishplace

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Brizburk said:
Hummmm if I were put in that situation I'd get either a couple Rubbermaid type totes, filters and a heater and ich meds. I'd then tell the owner he/she can have the tank back and I'm keeping the neglected fish and I'd end by saying Good Day To You!
that sounds like a plane lol but the owner is my step dads boss so i can't really do that lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom