I just turned down free fish

Cygnus

I ran to the local Petco to grab some new air hoses and they have a bunch of really small bright red platy's in an unmarked tank. The girl working the dept said a customer had brought them in and they were giving them away for free to anyone who wanted them.

These little guys/gals were the smallest platy's I've seen (about 1/2 inch long) but several were swimming on their sides, so I figured that whatever was wrong with them wasn't worth infecting my tank.

I told the girl that something was wrong with at least 4 of the fish, and she told me that they were fine, they've been doing that since they arrived.

kevymd

I just face-palmed at my desk. Are you kidding? What an idiot. Normally I would yell at you for turning down free fish (especially after looking for about an hour at Pete Mang's fish) but I think this was a good choice. Too bad the little buggers most likely are going to die.

GuineaPigster

Fine!
It is completely fine for fish to die because they weren't acclimated (My experience).
It is completely fine, normal, and one of the distinguishing signs of a healthy fish for a fish to swim on its side!

Cygnus

I just face-palmed at my desk. Are you kidding? What an idiot. Normally I would yell at you for turning down free fish (especially after looking for about an hour at Pete Mang's fish) but I think this was a good choice. Too bad the little buggers most likely are going to die.

If they had all been swimming well (about 30 in the tank) I would have loved to bring a nice handful home with me. They were such a pretty red. The odds are that they have some bladder issue, but with that store you just never know. It's not the worst store in my area, but it's far from the best.

To top it off, when I do add some platy's from the best store in my area, I'll be paying six dollars a piece.

GuineaPigster

Everyone knows that!
Darn, guess l should start a new thread-my fish are sick! None of them are swimming normally; they are all swimming weirdly... Like straight ahead!!!! EEEKK! Will they make it doc?

JoshM

Are you sure all of them were swimming weirdly? There has to be at least 1 normal one.

Teishokue

Most likely culls from a batch of fry. They might infact be okay due to deformities.

Cygnus

Are you sure all of them were swimming weirdly? There has to be at least 1 normal one.

Only 4 were swimming on their sides. If I knew more about fish and their diseases, I could have maybe picked out a few keepers, but I prefer to be cautious. If it's not a bladder problem and something worse, then I could possibly lose the 9 good fish in my tank and maybe even the fry.

GuineaPigster

You are right to be cautious! No use endangering your current ones!

endlercollector

The most expensive fish is a free one

frampy

Set up a QT tank and bring some home. Better to fix any problems they may or may not have then have them go to people who don't know about fish.

aylad

Six dollars a pop for livebearing fish is flippin' ridiculous. Many stores won't even pay customers for them.

Edmund

Whaaat - hey, what you could do, is try to get in contact with the individual who brought in those red platys (I know the ones you mean, they're like little fire trucks!). If their own fish is having loads of babies, perhaps if it happens again, you could nab some cheap and help them out.

I sincerely doubt the staff would remember the customer's name or anything of use for contacting them, but it's worth a try. At least, if that person comes back, the employee can mention another customer was curious in their lovely overstock.

It's also possible the employees weren't feeding the small fish an appropriate 'fry' food, and that contributed to swimbladder issues due to bloating. Good move on playing it safe - I've got tank problems for not behaving similarly.

Cygnus

Set up a QT tank and bring some home. Better to fix any problems they may or may not have then have them go to people who don't know about fish.

The thought crossed my mind, but if I did pick up fish with an unknown issue, I would have to wait for X amount of time to see if they live or not. Spend X amount of dollars to fix whatever the issue may be. On top of that, I wouldn't be able to buy any good fish until they came out of qt. Seems like a lot of possible problems for a free fish.

Six dollars a pop for livebearing fish is flippin' ridiculous. Many stores won't even pay customers for them.

It does seem to be a bit much, but their fish are quarantined for 4 weeks before available to the public. The odds of getting fish with issues is quite a bit less.

If I buy online, by the time you factor in shipping, I'm in the same position. My other options are the big chain stores with their stock. I'd rather pay a few bucks more for better fish than go cheap and have to replace.

Whaaat - hey, what you could do, is try to get in contact with the individual who brought in those red platys (I know the ones you mean, they're like little fire trucks!). If their own fish is having loads of babies, perhaps if it happens again, you could nab some cheap and help them out.

I've asked about this before but was told that store policy doesn't allow them to take fish. Of course I pointed that out to the girl working today, but it is what it is. Next time I see the dept manager I'll see if I can't find out some useful info.

endlercollector

This is exactly why free fish are the most expensive fish, and it is precisely because of the urge to save the world from other people's mistakes that I have gotten into so much trouble, so please don't do as I do

frampy

I QT all fish I get and have a large stock of different meds on hand at all times. This is the price I pay for all my fish. Plus its good to have as a hospital in case of a problem down the road. QT is one way to save money. I have never let the problems get into my main tanks it always stops in QT!

Cygnus

I have a qt tank.

Granted there is no way to guarantee buying safe fish, but buying out of a tank that you know some fish have issues seems to be asking for unnecessary problems.

If I limit myself to buying fish from a good source, the odds of introducing harmful things to my current tanks decreases significantly.

jbokel

Never buy from a tank with obvious issues. Lost all that I got last time I did that. Very depressing. Get from a good source, even if it costs. Quality of life is worth supporting.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cichlidude
Replies
Views
Iloveendlers
Replies
Views
Thatgirlinblack
Replies
Views