I just seem to have problem after problem with Jack Dempsey Help

Discussion in 'Jack Dempsey' started by Rattliffc12, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Rattliffc12

Rattliffc12 Valued Member Member

Ok sound to start off; charlene ended up being correct about my new jd being male. Two days after being in the tank he light up like a christmas tree. The good news is that they still get along great. Now the bad news, everytime i enter the room the new guy comes to the glass begging for food: my old guy still will not come out of his pot for anything. He ends up not eating because no matter how much food i put in the new one eats every peice. He hasent eaten for about a week and a half now and im really worried. I went oit and bought the water test kit rather than the strips i had just to be sure and the water perameters are perfect. Does anyone have any advice!?!?!

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

aww doggon it :( Im sorry !!
    maybe add some dither fish with them?
    do you see the new one bullying?

3. OP
    OP
    Rattliffc12

No there is no bullying from either side. I am affraid of putting more in the tank and it being over stocked

4. nick1346

nick1346 New Member Member

I think it may be bullying. When did u get the fish? because they may just be adapting to their new aquarium.

5. OP
    OP
    Rattliffc12

I have had the first guy for almost a year and i got the new one about four weeks ago there is nk nippiing or chasing at all though

6. c

convictleoparddempseyplec Valued Member Member

hmm, maybe if you make it a bit warmer around 78-80 and move items around? Also could throw some feeder fish in with them or some guppy feeders for them to chase around. Maybe even some convicts.

7. C

Charlene Valued Member Member

I wouldn't put convicts in there, everyone knows what convicts are like. Hence the name. But has been known to work.

The thing to do is put more hiding spaces in the tank, so that both can hide and be comfortable in the tank. It may just be they are finding who is boss (sounds like the new guy). OR your older guy has been on his own for a time and isn't sure about the new guy. It's a waiting game for them to settle.

8. OP
    OP
    Rattliffc12

Well i mean the big problem i am facing now is that i feel like i ambover feeding the new one trying to get the other just to eat something

9. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

He will eat when he is ready. :)

10. C

Like with any fish it just takes time. If the problem is a worry to you, rehome the new guy and get a female.

11. OP
    OP
    Rattliffc12

Idk it would be hard to rehome him it is a nice change to be greeted when you come in the room and him beg for food

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  12. C

The thing to think about is are the fish happy?
    If the answer is no, then it would be time to think about what you want from the tank and the fish. Is there enough hiding spaces for them?

13. OP
    OP
    Rattliffc12

Oh yea there are multiple flower potts with opening towards back and pvc along with alot of artificial plants. The hidding spots seem to be part of the problem, he wont come out if them

14. C

In that case just give some time

15. blueiristyson

blueiristyson Valued Member Member

i have a 7 in. male JD and he just chills most of the day in a Driftwood Structure. He comes out when he is hungry and also to swim a few laps. He is alone in my tank and mature. I think he just likes to chill.

I hope one isn't bullying the other. Keep us posted

16. OP
    OP
    Rattliffc12

Well i have been keeping an eye on the am and when ever the old guy gets near the new guy the new one darts off real quick. The old guy has started to come out for food right when im feeding but only wen the light is off in the tank. When the light is on and i enter the room he darts off and spooks the new guy.

17. C

It sounds like things are starting to calm down. Still give it time, takes a while for fish to properly setle in.

18. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Glad to hear things are lookin good. See, just takes time. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice