10 Gallon Tank I Just Purchased A 10 Gallon Aquarium Kit

Geena

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is only my second real tank (I have 2 ghost shrimp in a temporary 1 gallon they will be added to this tank) and so it'll be the first tank I am going to have the chance to cycle correctly since my first tank was a betta in a 1 gallon bowl that I totally thought was okay! I've come a long way. So how should I cycle it properly with no fish? I have a 5 gallon established betta tank with 2 nerite snails but I don't really have enough filter media to add into the new tank because these stupid silent stream filters don't leave much to be desired and I've already popped out the carbon in the current one. the new tank is going to be a planted tank with fluorite substrate that's all I know so far I don't know what the tank mates will be for the ghost shrimp yet.

xshainax

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes. There is no fish in there right now, so a capful won't hurt. Just smell it to see if it smells like ammonia, and shake it to make sure there are no bubbles
For a 10 gallon?

Geena

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes. There is no fish in there right now, so a capful won't hurt. Just smell it to see if it smells like ammonia, and shake it to make sure there are no bubbles
This may be a silly question but I've never bought or seen straight up ammonia before. Where would I purchase that?

Geena

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can you explain how the ammonia helps cycle the tank?

Dreypa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The amount really depends on the ammonia. I used the ace hardware ammonia before and 2ml in a 75gallon was taking me to 3ppm+. I think a capful for a 10 gallon would be extremely overkill with the AH brand.

Id suggest dosing a 1-5 gallon bucket and measuring that first to see how much you would need.

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
another option would be to buy media from an established tank, you can ask your Local fish store if they would sell you some, you can put it in the filter and do a instant cycle. My lfs has a whole thing full of media that they just use to sell it to people so i know its safe to use and its not coming out of a tank that has sick fish etc.. i have cycled a few tanks this way.

Geena

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
another option would be to buy media from an established tank, you can ask your Local fish store if they would sell you some, you can put it in the filter and do a instant cycle. My lfs has a whole thing full of media that they just use to sell it to people so i know its safe to use and its not coming out of a tank that has sick fish etc.. i have cycled a few tanks this way.
That is an excellent idea

Top Bottom