I just most likely killed some/all of my shrimp.

Reorn44

I have neocaridina shrimp and lots of plants for them to play amok. Well... I was working on cleaning my algae in the tank and I had the sudden thought to use the algaefix in the other room which i use for my cichlid tank. When i thought why havent i used it in the shrimp tank I had thought it was so they could eat the algae themselves and so I shrugged that off and used it. I then noted them freaking out swimming all around until they settled down which was odd behavior I haven't seen before. I reread the bottle and in horror, i panicked about my room trying to figure out what to do. I filled a bowl with water put some dechlorinizer the best i could do and quickly began moving all the shrimp into it and reset the tank. Let me tell you... My orangy's just hatched 2 weeks ago and are still smol beans so it was quite the task to perform...

Summarized (I put algaefix in my shrimp tank and panicked realizing after why not to do so. . filled a bowl with water put some dechlorinizer the best i could do and quickly began moving all the shrimp into it and reset the tank Now I wait...)

Any advice if I could do anything better than that? I didn't rinse the filter, but squeezed it gently out and now it is going. Goodbye to the waterbugs that my guppies enjoyed eating :(

MyFishAddiction

I can't decide if the unfiltered bowl would be worse than the alagefix. How much do you use?
Welcome to Fishlore, so sorry you had to go through this.

Reorn44

Now I am extra worried D:
Its a gallon cube tank, i added a couple drops of algaefix i think. its hard to estimate 1/10 of 1 ml with a cap. I want to note that they freaked out swimming around for a good minute or a few minutes, and then business as usual. I hope i didn't just take the possibility of them surviving the algaefix with the unfiltration...

MyFishAddiction

I have no idea how to help. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about shrimp can help?

ProudPapa

Since you have removed the shrimp, I'd suggest replacing all the water, then drip acclimate the shrimp and put them back (if you haven't already).

Reorn44

Oops net fell in lol. Here they are after a day in the tank, one might have died or is molting, i cant tell but i hope the latter... they seem more colorful in there actually and i see more big bubbles from sponge filter, guessing there was too much calcium or proteins that caused little bubbles and calcium buildups.

Attachments

• 16342381080618169395764210135924.jpg
    16342381080618169395764210135924.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 18

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Brizburk
Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies