I just learned something disappointing about Aqueon Pro heaters.

AndyP

I found the box to my old Aqueon Pro heater in my garage (blue dial, green indicator light), and the box says it's made in Italy.

A warranty replacement Aqueon heater arrived today, and it's the new style with the clear illuminated adjustment dial. These heaters and made in China.

Now I seem to recall that Marineland Stealth heaters were all the rage for a while, and they made them in Italy. Then the new Stealth Pro heaters came out. They made them in China and there was a huge recall on them. Marineland discontinued the whole Stealth line when that happened.

I wonder if the switch to China is why I see so many more complaints about Aqueon Pro heaters these days. China CAN manufacture top quality stuff. But then the manufacturing price goes up significantly.

BigManAquatics

You just really have to be careful what you get. It isn't the be all/end all, but there is some truth behind the whole saying of "you get what you pay for".

Upvote 0

AndyP

A lot of companies try to maintain a price point on a product by moving manufacturing to China. Though moving manufacturing to China may save you a little of money, it's often not enough to justify the expense of moving everything. So, you look to cut corners elsewhere. You make the plastic thinner. You use lower grade capacitors and resistors. Then you determine if the acceptable level of returns under the new process allows you to maintain the same profit. If you're making 25% more profit, but have a 20% increased failure rate, net annual profit may be higher. So, the quality of the product goes down, but the company is still making more money on an inferior product. It's a vicious cycle.

I often wonder about the Eheim Classic canister filters. They're all made in China. But their price point is about the same as it was back in the late 80s/early 90s. Something has to be different about them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
  • Question
  • BlackTiger
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Dunk2
Replies