I Just Killed My Shrimp!

1. fish gazer Member Member

I did a treatment of Parasite Guard by Tetra for a week for my ram ( lfs didn't have any API version) and stupid me didn't read the part that says "harmful to shrimp.." I found 2 amano shrimps, curled up today and white, like the ones you see on a seafood platter. And my ghost shrimp is orangey, but hiding in the plants, I think he will be gone soon. The other amano is MIA and possibly dead under a rock. What did I do!

Urghhh! I loved the amanos, they grew so much, I will try and find 4 more adult amanos at the lfs next week.

So frustrating!

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

I am sorry you lost them! :(

3. fish gazer Member Member

Thanks... I just found one surviving amano! I hope he makes it, I was planning on doing a wc tomorrow.

It's just frustrating because my ram intimidates small shrimp because of his feeding style, these ones grew up and started to finally come out and feed comfortably as they got bigger.

:(

4. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

You will need to do a few large water changes over the course of a few weeks. You will also need to probably use some carbon to help remove the meds. I'm not familiar with that particular med, but it probably has copper in it, which is why it's harmful to inverts. If that is true, I would recommend doing a 100% change probably twice spread out by a week or so. You would have to transfer the fish into buckets then net them back into the tank. Otherwise you will stand a good chance at killing any future inverts you added. Copper has been known to stick around for awhile, in substrate, décor, etc.

If you wanted to be really sure, Seachem makes a product called Cuprisorb, which absorbs copper. It is a granular material and you put it in your filter, and over time it will absorb any copper in the water.

5. fish gazer Member Member

Thanks dolfan. I will wait a bit and do some research on the topic because I will most likely add more shrimp but I don't want to harm them in the process.

Funny thing is. The smallest amano survived and he is his normal colour and behaving normally, the ghost shrimp didn't make it though..

6. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I don't think it's fair to say you killed them. It was an accident. But I would suggest taking Dolfan's suggestions and following them. He knows inverts.

7. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

Don't feel bad I found my first shrimp as a crispy across the room after the first day. My friend also did the same but with 6 crabs all other the house... Sometimes even trying our bests isn't enough. But yeah read about meds before you put them into any tank with any fish. Only scaled fish can take most meds. Plecos. Otos. Shrimp or whatever you can think of without scales or inverts can be harmed by some meds. I would get fresh carbon in the filter if you can asap. Good luck!

8. fish gazer Member Member

Thanks guys! I usually read instructions very carefully, don't know what happened this time! I guess it happens...

I did a water change, scrubbed the tank, and added a fresh carbon and trying out clearmax in my filter.

My remaining shrimp is doing his normal routine and seems very healthy.

I just didn't want to disrupt the tank too much at one time, I'm going to do another water change in a few days and monitor the shrimp, I think his activity will be a good indicator if I need to do anymore.

9. fish gazer Member Member

Tetra, the company that makes Parasite Guard, had written this in regards to shrimp.

"Once your fish are well, do a partial water change and run fresh carbon for 24 hours, then it should be okay to put the shrimp back in."

But then again, sometimes it's better to play it safe as well...