I just had an Oh Duh moment!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lucy, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Several months ago I had a severe algae issue in one of my tanks. It covered everything including my Marimo Ball.
    Since peroxide can kill algea, I decided to give it a dip in diluted peroxide
    My Marimo Ball died.

(See where this is going?)

Of course peroxide killed my marimo. It is algae! Duh! I knew that!
    :;smack

We've all had a duh moment (or two or more) Anyone want to share theirs?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Is peroxide bad for fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    Lucy

From what I understand, not in small doses but please don't take my word for it.
    I never dosed my tank. I took the marimo ball out of the tank.

You may want to start a new thread about that.
    It's kind of off topic.

4. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Lol, sorry about your moss ball, Lucy!

Yeah, I've had a few (okay more than a few) moments like that, most of them though consist of not paying enough attention to what I'm doing though, or my tendency to overcomplicate things. :/ I might think of one specific one though later lol. But hey, at least you know you're not the only one!!

5. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

I could not count the amount of times I got distracted and overfilled my tanks!

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

You can use it in small doses. But be careful. You can shoot algae with it in a syringe like Excel with BBA. But since it kills algae, it may kill the plant too. This maybe an old school way to keep algae at bay. Not sure if anyone actually does it anymore. As the OP found out, it kills things..

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

These moments usually happen during water changes. I'll turn the valve on the Aqueon water changer adapter from suction to fill. Then when the tank is almost full I suddenly realize I forgot to dose Prime so it's a frantic rush to save the bacteria colonies lol. It's happened every week ( keep in mind I have four tanks)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Lucy, thank you for posting that as I would never have given that a thought. I have 11 marimo moss balls in my three tanks and would be very upset if I killed one. But that is something I would have done. Now I know better. Alison

9. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I've left a bucket in the sink and flooded the kitchen, I've nocked over countless items(prime, fish food, plant ferts) only to discover I merely placed on the cap and didn't actually close it, I left the lid off the fruit fly culture(I'm still finding flies), and countless other duh moments.

10. OP
    OP
    Lucy

That's funny.
    I have been guilty of all of the above at one time or another. :)

11. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

My most recent "oh duh" moment came the other day. I was going to buy a sponge filter for one of my tanks, but I thought I'd try something different.

You know those tube air stones? Yeah. I'm gonna see how that works with sponges...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice