I just had a thought....

Shorty

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I just had a thought... doesn't happen very often! Lol, I am keeping platys and guppies for the first time (the tanks I lost in the fire had no live bearers) and I was wondering if my fish breed, and we are talking guppies here so I should say - WHEN my fish breed, how do I stop the fry being sucked into my filter? It does have a tube grid on it, but the gaps would be large enough for fry to get sucked in, and even though I am not separating them and most will get eaten, I would preffer them not to get mangled in the filter, I would much ratherthat the ones that wont make were gone in a gulp rather then being traumatized in the filter. Can I wrap a the toe off a pair of tights round the tube - will this still allow enough filtration and not bugger my filter?

newbie101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yep if you get a piece of panty hose or something and tie itaround the intake with a bit of thread, that should do it. But I think you would do better to get a breeding trap or net, so the other fish don't eat the fry. Also then you wouldn't have to mess w your filter.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What type of filter do you have? Also you can buy a pack of bags made for the aquaclear filters to hold filter stuff and wrap it around your intake tube. Thats what I do and it's fine so the guppies can't get sucked up and twice a month I take it off and just rub my hand over it to get some of the junk off. Works great, better than a sponge filter I think. Need more help on how to do it let me know.

Austin

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All of those ate good suggestions but I find that my guppies are strongenough from the start not to get sucked into the filter.
Carol

Shorty

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am not entirely sure what filter I have - it works though, the filter itself sits inside the hood of the tank, a long pipe comes into the water and sucks it up and a short outlet drops it back in again after it goes through the top - that has like plastic bits in nets in it and some wooly stuff and black pellets in a net also - on the pipe that sucks up the water there is like a guard tube that has slats in it, but they gaps are quite big, my other fishes are OK with it - non of them would fit anyway through the gaps, but I guess I am being a little worried about the fry as they will be so tiny.............. also how do it tell if the guppies are pregnant - the two females look quite round but not overly so? Should I try to post a pic of them?

And also - whilst I am here rabbiting on, how do I tell if my platys get in the family way?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can also get sponges that fit over the intake tube that will keep the fry from getting sucked in.

Shorty

Valued Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of tights (I believe in the US they are called panty hose - In case I have confused anyone) and tied it round the filter - after making sure it would all still suck properly, it works fine.... and I am fairly sure both of my guppies are in the family way and that one of my platys is too - still not sure how to tell though?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom