I just got my Betta!

• Thread starter Ay1a
  • Start date

Ay1a

I just got my Betta! It's a male... I'm not sure what kind though. I'll take some pictures in a minute. I feed him 2 blood worms and he just jumped straight for them... he's exploring his big tank... Not really any decoration/plants in there for him yet but I'll be getting some very soon hopefully... want to get some plants for him! I'm super happy.

He's redish/blueish with a long wavy tail. I'll get some pictures soon

Furallicah

Well Known
Congrats I can't wait to see him. Does he have a name yet?

Ay1a

No name yet, trying to work my dads camera so I can figure out how to make the pictures not so blurry when I take them.
He's swimming around actively right now just looking at his bridge and is hanging by the filter.

Furallicah

Well Known
I know how you feel about blurry pictures....I'll take a dozen and end up with like two good ones...lol

Flyfrod

Can't wait to see pics. Congrats!!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Good morning!

Congrats on the new Betta! Will be looking forward to your photos!
Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known
Oooh, can't wait for your pics!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Congratulations! Can't wait for pics!

ppate1977

Well Known
Great to hear.

peacemaker92

Well Known
Did I hear pics? You came here to tell us about your good news without any of em'??

haha just kidding! Keep us posted on the photos! Can't wait! Congrats!

uprightandlocked

Well Known
Congratulations! Enjoy getting to know each other, they are so loveable!

Charlemagne

Oh good! I'm so glad you got him! Can't wait to see pics! Betta shopping is always fun

Ay1a

Sorry for the wait, trying to get him to come out from hiding from under a little bridge... sorry for the awful quality the camera is bad.
But once I feed him tonight I'll get some more pictures of him out.

Attachments

Ay1a

Here's two more that look kind of better.

Attachments

MaddieLynn

Well Known
He's a veiltail betta. His coloring looks like a mustard gas to me. They're my favorite kind!

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
What a little beauty! Is he navy blue with orange fins? I know sometimes bettas look a lot different in pics than in real life, lol.

Congrats to you! ;D

GoGreen

Well Known
Congrats on your new betta! They are great little fish, thanks for sharing some pictures.

Ay1a

Hey everyone again, sorry of I'm hijacking my thread but just wanted to ask something. My Betta is hiding and just sitting under his bridge and sort of dug a hole under it and is sitting in there. Is this normal behavior for a fish that was just introduced to a new home?

Just kind of worried, my water parameters are pretty much the same with the exception of nitrates which are down a lot.

And to Harupa2002, I would call him more of a dark blueish color that fades to red on his tail, it looks very pretty.

ppate1977

Well Known
I wouldn't be too worried. Betta will often be shy for a day or two. He will come out soon and get to know ya.

Ay1a

Okay thanks. I'm just a little concerned about his shyness but hopefully he'll be more active around me soon. XD

ppate1977

Well Known
He will be. That is totally normal behavior. Just keep looking at him, he will get comfortable and come out. In two days I'm sure he will be greeting you.

Deeps

And will also demand for his blood worms...

Neji

Furallicah said:
Congrats I can't wait to see him. Does he have a name yet?
I never knew people named their fishes xD Do you have a betta? If so what's his or her's name?

Ay1a

Sorry for bumping my old thread, just figure it's easier then making a new one but heres a new question.

Since I got my fish he's been eating Blood Worms like crazy but when I drop the pellets in he takes maybe two bites then swims away and probably only finished one pellet per day.

So my question is, should I scoop the food out of the tank after about a hour or two or should I leave them in until they sink to the bottom?

My ammonia is still sitting at a steady 0 so I'm assuming everything is fine for him even with some food decomposing at the bottom but don't want him to get constipated with the extra food in there.

EDIT: And I still haven't named him. I'm not very original so I'll take suggestions if people still are looking at this thread.

Neji

BettaLuvhr said:
Sorry for bumping my old thread, just figure it's easier then making a new one but heres a new question.

Since I got my fish he's been eating Blood Worms like crazy but when I drop the pellets in he takes maybe two bites then swims away and probably only finished one pellet per day.

So my question is, should I scoop the food out of the tank after about a hour or two or should I leave them in until they sink to the bottom?

My ammonia is still sitting at a steady 0 so I'm assuming everything is fine for him even with some food decomposing at the bottom but don't want him to get constipated with the extra food in there.

EDIT: And I still haven't named him. I'm not very original so I'll take suggestions if people still are looking at this thread.
You should definitely take out the uneaten food right after the Betta won't consume it. Since leaving it for more than 5 min will start to make the tank more cloudier which causes ammonia. You should also do frequent water changes

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Cloudy water is not the source of ammonia; decomposing food is.

You should remove the uneaten food within a couple hours.

Top Bottom