I Just Got 3 Discus And They’re Not Active Too Much :( Question 

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MoeTetrasMoeProblemz said:
They are medium sized discus, about 3-4 inches from top to bottom, I tested the I tested the water last night and the ammonia was zero nitrate was zero and nitrates were around 5 to 10 I also added a new plant the tank is 75 gallons and there are about 15 to 20 Tetris and three angelfish
Hello
As someone who’s raising angelfish & discus together, my angels have never attack or go after discus. Actually I found it to be the opposite, the discus are more aggressive toward the angels, moving them out their way all the time. My discus eat plenty, just make sure food fits in their mouths, tiny foods for discus. Angels have bigger mouths, so they can eat more in one bite compared to discus. Discus are smart little fish & often times mines work smart, not hard to eat, try to overeat if I’d let them. Turn up temperature to 82-86, increase your wc, otherwise discus, angelfish & GBR’s can live in same water conditions.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They seem to have trouble eating the cobalt brine shrimp flakes, should I buy them some sort of pellets to feed them?
Mine pretty much only get frozen foods, frozen brine shrimp most of the time, frozen bloodworms as a treat once or twice a week, and cichlid pellets

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your best bet would be to go back to the store or call them and ask them what they were feeding. Use what they were feeding and the flake till they start accepting the flake.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I just did a 50% water change, they discus are starting to become more active, I just noticed how slow of eaters they are. They pick the food off the bottom, they’ll do just fine. I appreciate your help a lot
Make sure you gravel vacuum the substrate as well as possible to maintain quality water levels. Also try to get some different foods for them if at all possible. Freeze dried black worms with or without spinach, frozen brine shrimp with spirulina or without, discus flake, mysis shrimp. You don’t have to feed but 4 times a day if possible just choose foods with high protein percentage. Also if you can only do water changes every 5 days I would go ahead and do at least 75% to make up for not changing every other day. As for QT I wouldn’t worry about it being that they came from a display tank with other discus and have been added to your rank already. Just keep a real close eye on them and if you see any strange behavior please feel free to give anyone a tag and we’ll help you the best we can! We’re all learning here so it’s only right we share our experiences with others in the hobby who are just as interested as we were! Welcome to fishlore and the #DiscusGang

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thedudeiam94 said:
Make sure you gravel vacuum the substrate as well as possible to maintain quality water levels. Also try to get some different foods for them if at all possible. Freeze dried black worms with or without spinach, frozen brine shrimp with spirulina or without, discus flake, mysis shrimp. You don’t have to feed but 4 times a day if possible just choose foods with high protein percentage. Also if you can only do water changes every 5 days I would go ahead and do at least 75% to make up for not changing every other day. As for QT I wouldn’t worry about it being that they came from a display tank with other discus and have been added to your rank already. Just keep a real close eye on them and if you see any strange behavior please feel free to give anyone a tag and we’ll help you the best we can! We’re all learning here so it’s only right we share our experiences with others in the hobby who are just as interested as we were! Welcome to fishlore and the #DiscusGang
Wow thank you very much for the great advice, I will definitely look into doing that, i really love these discus, they’re so beautiful, maybe the most beautiful freshwater fish I have ever seen in my entire life! My parents are finally proud of me for getting these nice fish; they’re just mad that I spent $100 dollars on them lol. But they said as long as it doesn’t look like a mummichog from the Hackensack river it’s cool with them! I will do my best to care for these fish and I will also feed them a lot of protein so they can grow big and strong.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom