Help I Just Found Eggs! What Next?

FLL

Reaction score
I just found 2 big clumps of eggs floating in the grasses in my tank! They are clear with dots in the middles. Not sure if that means they’re fertilized?

I have pairs of two baby Smokey angels, 2 blue rams, 2 red tail sharks, giant danios, Siamese algae eaters, Bristlenose Plecos, 2 trapdoor snails, 2 rabbit snails, 2 different kinds of dwarf gouramis. I also have neon tetras but these clumps are bigger than 2 of them put together so doubting it’s from them...

Anyway, I quickly scooped them up in my net (as my female betas we’re trying to eat them)and went and grabbed a breeder net. They are in there now but sure what to do? I put them by the air stone for air movement but didn’t put the meth. Blue in there they gave me at the store as it said it’s bad for the plants and may stain my acrylic tank. Is there anything else I should do? What do I do if they hatch? I’ve never done this before so all advise is welcome!!

OP
F

FLL

Reaction score
E60BA238-E307-4E27-B2F3-2B8D49ECBA88.jpeg
Thought I did...can you see it now?

Minxxy

Well Known
Reaction score
BN pleccos eggs are usually orange-ish and pappa stays close, usually hidden so I doubt its them.. (funny enough I was just doing research on pleccos that's how they described a plecco nest on another site)

fjh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yep, now I see it
Well I can say for sure its not the gouramis, plecos, rabbit snails, trapdoor snails.
It might be angels, rams, tetras, red tail sharks, giant danios, or Siamese algae eaters.
But since your angels are both young and neither is protecting the eggs, we can probably rule out the angels too.

Edit:
I think they would be neat to hatch... put them in a breeder box with a bubbler. Remove any unfertilized ones and you should get wigglers in a few days!

OP
F

FLL

Reaction score
I would be so excited for angels!! Is there something I should do instead of the meth blue? I would hate for them to get fungus and die

fjh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FLL said:
I would be so excited for angels!! Is there something I should do instead of the meth blue? I would hate for them to get fungus and die
Not to kill your excitement, but its probably not angels. You said they were both babies and if it were angels the parents would probably be harassing the rest of the tank.

I use a few drops of hydrogen peroxide if I'm artificially hatching eggs. Just make sure you give them clean (peroxide free) water before they hatch.

OP
F

FLL

Reaction score
My rams have been acting funny and have had their fins up constantly lately. I worried they were fighting or one had a fungus actually. It has a raised area with either fungus or skin coming out. I treated with a fungal treatment earlier this week in fact. Maybe you can tell if ones a female? Do they get aggressive with mating?

Attachments

candiedragon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Angelfish are babies so it can't be them, and even then they should have good enough instincts to try and guard. Rams would guard the eggs. I believe the fathers for both gouramis and BN plecos guard. Nobody has successfully bred RTS in tanks without hormones. Giant danios are egg scatterers, they don't lay eggs in clumps like that. Not sure about SAE.

So my guess would be maybe the snails.

OP
F

FLL

Reaction score
So do I get rid of the breeder net and get a breeder box?

candiedragon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh right, you said rabbit and trapdoor. I just remembered "snails" while writing my response lol.

What a mystery then. I'm so curious what they are. Would you update us whatever hatches?

OP
F

FLL

Reaction score
Absolutely! I’m so excited to see too...but I’m worried about them making it....am I doing everything I should be? Do I get a box instead of a net? Put in peroxide drops for a day then change it? I’m unclear on what to do I guess

fjh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FLL said:
Absolutely! I’m so excited to see too...but I’m worried about them making it....am I doing everything I should be? Do I get a box instead of a net? Put in peroxide drops for a day then change it? I’m unclear on what to do I guess
Well if you are using peroxide then you have to use a box... you don't want to put peroxide in the rest of your tank!
I'm currently hatching/raising cories using this method. You just need some sort of container to put the eggs in. I happen to use one of the clear specimen containers that hang on the side, but a plastic cup will do. put an air line in the cup with clean water and the eggs (to provide circulation). add about 1 drop of peroxide per cup of water. Change the water/peroxide solution daily and remove any fungused or unfertilized eggs when you see them (viable eggs will turn a clear light beige). The eggs could start hatching around day 3, so replace the water/peroxide solution with just water at that point. Depending on what species, you can sometimes see the fry squirming around inside the eggs - this means they are ready to hatch! At this point you might want to move them into a breeder net if you don't have a separate tank set up to rear young. Usually in about a month they will start resembling miniature adults of their species Good luck!

OP
F

FLL

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I can’t wait!

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those eggs are not from any of the species of fish you have listed. They look like Columbian Ramshorn Snail eggs, which makes me wonder if you have a misidentified snail.Can you post photos of both? Seems hardly possible, as both species you list have pointed shells, and as noted by others, do not lay clumps of eggs. But there are other species of snails - a lot of them! - and photos will either bring an answer, or bigger questions.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom