How Do I I Just Found an RO System on the Street

Fishproblem

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How do I clean/test/fix/use it?

Not joking. Was walking down Flatbush Avenue and caught a glimpse of an RO filter canister in a box on the sidewalk. I couldn’t not grab it. Now what? Does it look like it’s complete? Where do I go for parts? How do I set it up?

Thanks in advance!

8323baf7a68df0c193a0440574aef782.jpg

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your going to have to find the name and model# and google it. More than likely the membrane in the ro itself is torn. Either the piece on the bottom or the one on the left is the ro unit. The rest are filters to clean the water before it gets to the Ro. You really won’t need it unless your doing saltwater. NY water is great.

OP
Fishproblem

Fishproblem

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
86 ssinit said:
Your going to have to find the name and model# and google it. More than likely the membrane in the ro itself is torn. Either the piece on the bottom or the one on the left is the ro unit. The rest are filters to clean the water before it gets to the Ro. You really won’t need it unless your doing saltwater. NY water is great.
It looks like I’m going to have a **** of a time finding a model number! But I’ll keep looking. I am a huge fan of the water here, but I’m thinking about trying super controlled fertilization in a high tech nano tank, (and/or some very fancy shrimp) and this would make it easier than getting jugs of water!

kered

Reaction score
Most filters are universal so you should not have problems finding new ones, especially the prefilters.
The first filter is a solids filter that takes out floating debris, the next one is a carbon particle filter that takes out undesirables that pas the particle filter, next is a solid carbon block filter that takes out chlorine, chloramines and anything else that can damage the main RO membrane, this is number 4 and takes out everything else like heavy metals, calcium magnesium and all other minerals. number 5 is another carbon filter that takes out any smells, odour etc. that may come out of the plastic and fittings, not 100% necessary.
Amazon will have any parts that might be missing or broken together with tube, you can use the water to drink too by adding a re mineralization filter that adds benificial minerals like calcium, magnesium and makes the water taste better.
They are great to have if you keep shrimp, you can build the water parrameters the specie needs but remember, RO water is not good by itself you need to put back all the esential minerals needed for shrimp, plants an fish.
Its also good for topups of evaporated water without efecting the waters parameters as when water evaporates it leaves everything behind, using tap water to refil evaporation adds all kinds of things so the parameters change over time, with using only RO water you are putting back only what evaporated nothing mire nothing less.

OP
Fishproblem

Fishproblem

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
kered said:
Most filters are universal so you should not have problems finding new ones, especially the prefilters.
The first filter is a solids filter that takes out floating debris, the next one is a carbon particle filter that takes out undesirables that pas the particle filter, next is a solid carbon block filter that takes out chlorine, chloramines and anything else that can damage the main RO membrane, this is number 4 and takes out everything else like heavy metals, calcium magnesium and all other minerals. number 5 is another carbon filter that takes out any smells, odour etc. that may come out of the plastic and fittings, not 100% necessary.
Amazon will have any parts that might be missing or broken together with tube, you can use the water to drink too by adding a re mineralization filter that adds benificial minerals like calcium, magnesium and makes the water taste better.
They are great to have if you keep shrimp, you can build the water parrameters the specie needs but remember, RO water is not good by itself you need to put back all the esential minerals needed for shrimp, plants an fish.
Its also good for topups of evaporated water without efecting the waters parameters as when water evaporates it leaves everything behind, using tap water to refil evaporation adds all kinds of things so the parameters change over time, with using only RO water you are putting back only what evaporated nothing mire nothing less.
This is super helpful! I'm in the process of collecting the supplies to set up a high tech nano tank, and I think I'm going to try using remineralized RO water, if this filter works.

kered

Reaction score
you will need to add something like seachem replenish to return esential minerals to the water for fish, and or seachem equilibrium for the plants.

With refernce to the RO system most of the ones I have seen have input on the right and output/waste to the left as in the midle is an auto pressure shutoff valve, that round thing with 4 tubes conected to it.

OP
Fishproblem

Fishproblem

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
kered said:
you will need to add something like seachem replenish to return esential minerals to the water for fish, and or seachem equilibrium for the plants.

With refernce to the RO system most of the ones I have seen have input on the right and output/waste to the left as in the midle is an auto pressure shutoff valve, that round thing with 4 tubes conected to it.
Yeah, it looks like that's exactly the setup I've got here! This feels like a super silly question, but have you got any idea how I can hook it up to my sink? Will I have to hook it up to the faucet each time I want to make RO water or is there a way to connect it to the plumbing another way?

Glad to hear you recommend Seachem products, as I already use them for everything else!

New Threads