I just found a great deal! 55 Gallon Tank

1. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Yea im prob be getting a 55 gallon found a great deal .What i want is cichlid but i dont know much about them

A pair of cichlid?

12 Silver tip Tetras
    2 Bristlenose Pelcos?

Give me ideas :D

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

What kind of cichlids were you thinking about... South American you could only get one or two but they would eat those silver tip tetras would be eaten. As a matter of fact they would be killed by any cichlid they are very aggressive (maybe 5-10 cichlids). If you are going to get African cichlids you are going to want to overstock it to keep the fighting down. So you need to make that basic decision first.:;sharkie1

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

4. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Maybe i could get drawf cichlids but i would want more than one pair right
    i just want a more simple stock list.

5. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

1 Pair of GBR's
    13 Neon tetras
    1 clown pleco
    More fish?

6. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi,

I think some Rams or Apistos would be a good idea. You could also try an Angelfish. They are one of my very favorite Cichlids. Is there any other fish you were looking to put in the tank? Like another schooling fish perhaps.

Clown Plecos are Panaques which means they aren't too much help with algae. They are mainly wood eaters. So you will have to have wood in the tank for them. In addition I think they prefer to be in groups of 3 or more. I have 8 right now :). There are dozens of species of pleco so I suggest you do some more research into what kinds you prefer and then go from there. My favorite kinds of pleco are: the Blue Panaque, the Blue Eye Pleco, and the Red Lizard Whiptail.

You should definitely add more fish. That would look pretty empty. How about another kind of Tetra? I really like Lemon Tetras. Or perhaps an additional kind of cichlid. Like I said above, Angelfish are great fish. Although you'd have to switch out your Neons for Cardinal Tetras because the Neons won't grow large enough to avoid getting eaten by a large Angelfish. Neons are a source of food for Angelfish in the wild but Cardinal Tetras get large enough to avoid getting eaten.

7. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Yea i was looking for more fish have any suggestions

Pair of GBR's
    13 neon tetras
    1 clown pleco
    12 Cherry Barbs?

8. fighter55 Member Member

you could try apistos or kribs too. I would do something like this:
    Pair of GBR's
    12 Cardinal Tetras
    1 BN Pleco
    10 Cherry Barbs
    Pair of Apistos or Kribs

9. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Cardinals are good,what about 2 BN Plecos

10. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

BN plecos will fit right in. I prefer Blue Eye Plecos to BNs because I think they look better and have better temperaments. They are basically BNs but they don't grow as large.

I would stay away from Cherry Barbs personally. I used to have no trouble with them in Asia but in the US I've noticed they are pretty weak stock. I've looked at them in California, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Florida. All these places had basically the same results. All my 16 Cherries died :(. Instead I would look at some lower dwelling Tetras. I had Diamond Tetras and loved them. Also Lemon Tetras, which I mentioned earlier, are really great fish. You could try Black Phantom Tetras. They look kinda interesting. Also Gold Barbs or Rosy Barbs would fit in with your community. I would go for Rosy Barbs personally but my opinion is biased on them lol ;D.