I just couldn't help myself!

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
I went back to the fish store today with the intentions of only getting the rest of my Neons and some filter cartridges, and came back with a Betta, new lighting fixtures and a glass hood. lol

I just couldn't help it. All the Betta's looked really nice and were so beautiful. They had really nice reds, blues, and a turquoise (the one I got). Or, you could probably call it a metallic blue. After releasing him he started chasing my Neons and Oto, but after observing him for a while he stopped. I hope he doesn't continue to chase them or I'll have to put him in my Betta bowl. I ended up with a Betta bowl last time because I couldn't choose between 2 beautiful males. The bowl is a 1 gallon glass vase, so it's not as cramped, but still, I'd like him to remain in my main tank.

All the fish were 50% off, which made him even more harder to pass up, and my filter cartridges were 50% off and I got 30% off my lighting strip. ;D

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Umm, your Betta really shouldn't be kept with Neons. The Neons will likely nip his fins and he'll end up with finrot. What I hear is that the Betta won't see the little Neons as a threat, so they won't do much while the tetras chew their fins off.

Your Betta needs his own 5 gal tank. Please do NOT ever put a Betta into a 1 gal bowl!! That is way too small to be heated or filtered, and so the Betta would be lethargic and susceptible to coldwater diseases like velvet, and would be poisoned by the ammonia. A bowl is just not suitable for any fish.

Please read Chickadee (Rose's) stickied welcome and Betta Care post if you have not done so already. It will tell you about all your Betta's basic requirements. But please do not keep your Betta with Neons.

Oh, btw, what size is the tank? If it is big enough, another option could be to get a divider to separate the Betta and Neons.

I am very glad that you rescued a Betta from the store, and welcome to the foum!!! By the way, what is your Betta's name? We like to address our Bettas properly here.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh you lucky person you... We just got back from Petsmart and there were SO many beautiful bettas, but I just can't get any right now until their 10 gal is finished cycling

There were a few people getting some though... really sucked seeing them carrying away one of those teeny tiny betta bowl things.. brand spankin new and getting bad advice from the fish care person....

They had this beautiful deep dark red male though. His body was almost black while his fins were red.
There was also this really pretty little female.. she had gold and blue on her scales which looked so amazing. *sigh!!!*

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you really got a good buy on your fish supplies and on a betta.  The 1 gallon bowl is way too small for a healthy betta though.  I hope you are able to keep him in your main tank.  Keep an eye on the neons as they will very likely nip the betta's fins, which can lead to bacterial infections and fin rot.  Keeping your betta with them is very risky.  A divider in the tank, as Omorrokh advised would be much better.  I have 4 Bettas in divided tanks and they are doing great.  By the way, do your fish have names?  I need to update my signature, as there have been some changes, but for the most part my fish are listed with their tank mates and names.  

CherryRose  ;D

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.......my other Betta lived 4 or 5 years in the 1 gallon bowl and was healthy and never had any problems the whole time. What killed him was when I did a water change. In fact, he lived longer than the Betta that was in my 20 gallon tank. My other one was also housed with Glowlight Tetras and neither species ever bothered each other. I'll keep a close eye on them tomorrow and see what happens. I have one of those divider things for the 20 gallon tank, but it doesn't fit at all. I really wasted my money on that piece of junk. There's a 2 to 3 inch gap at the top that the fish can just swim right over.

As for names, no, I don't name my fish. I might give my Betta a nickname.....maybe I'll call him Blue. But, I have too many Neons and they all look alike there's no way I could tell them apart. I just don't make naming fish a habit. It's not like they come when called.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
shollia said:
There were a few people getting some though... really sucked seeing them carrying away one of those teeny tiny betta bowl things.. brand spankin new and getting bad advice from the fish care person....
So true... When I was at petsmart the other day, asking about another 5.5 gallon tank (apparently it's not something they keep, for some reason ???), the girl asked me what I would be housing in it, and I told her I would likely be putting a betta in, heated and filtered and all that good stuff, and she was pretty much ready to fight me tooth and nail that it will be just so happy to be living in one of those little bowls that they sell. When I told her about Atlantis and comparing him to my mom's betta, the girl didn't wanna believe me that Atlantis is far more active, the colours on him are far more vibrant than the betta in a bowl.

You really would expect a company to actually know something about what they are selling, but I guess it's all about living off the ignorance of others :-\

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They DO sell more fish if the fish is not in the best of conditions after all. What is their interest in keeping the fish alive after the
"live gaurantee" is over. NONE.

Rose

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a sick fish in their store, and I've never needed the live guarantee. Everytime I've bought fish from them they've always been healthy and lived a long time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom