I just bought the whole tank of apple snails at PetSmart

MrsPancakes

I stopped by PetSmart and while there I looked at their mystery snails. It was horrible. All of them had cracked and broken shells. Some lay dying while being munched on by rabbit snails...it was heartbreaking. So I did what any bleeding heart does, and bought all of the snails for a total of 11.
Now before, someone starts commenting about "continuing the circle" blah blah blah. Please understand this, these snails are going to die and they were going to let them and get more snails anyway. Me buying them or not has no impact on anything but maybe the life of the snail. However, what I can do is document their journey and expose this side of the industry.

Anyway, back to why I need help...

Obviously they are quarantined and I immediately noticed worms, and some other moving critters, but worms! Nematodes?
Does anyone know how to treat this for snails specifically?
worms.jpg

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
MrsPancakes said:
I stopped by PetSmart and while there I looked at their mystery snails. It was horrible. All of them had cracked and broken shells. Some lay dying while being munched on by rabbit snails...it was heartbreaking. So I did what any bleeding heart does, and bought all of the snails for a total of 11.
Now before, someone starts commenting about "continuing the circle" blah blah blah. Please understand this, these snails are going to die and they were going to let them and get more snails anyway. Me buying them or not has no impact on anything but maybe the life of the snail. However, what I can do is document their journey and expose this side of the industry.

Anyway, back to why I need help...

Obviously they are quarantined and I immediately noticed worms, and some other moving critters, but worms! Nematodes?
Does anyone know how to treat this for snails specifically?
worms.jpg
One of them looks like planaria

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
I think they are all Planeria. They have that brown stripe in the center. Do all of them have Triangle shaped heads? Do not put the snails in your tank yet...:nailbiting: The wormer that kills the planeria also kills snails. :cool:

Hopefully someone has used something for Planeria that doesn't kill snails. What all is in your tank? They are really only harmful to shrimp and baby frys. Fish will eat them.

OP
MrsPancakes

MrsPancakes

StarGirl said:
I think they are all Planeria. They have that brown stripe in the center. Do all of them have Triangle shaped heads? Do not put the snails in your tank yet...:nailbiting: The wormer that kills the planeria also kills snails. :cool:

Hopefully someone has used something for Planeria that doesn't kill snails. What all is in your tank? They are really only harmful to shrimp and baby frys. Fish will eat them.
My understanding is that if you touch planeria they shrink up and grip whatever surface they are on. These guys shrink and drop. Regardless, there doesn't seem to be a treatment....

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
The big one towards the bottom is definitely a planeria. See the triangle head and the eye spots? Yeah planeria shrink and drop from my experience. Im hoping someone chimes in with a treatment that doesn't kill the snails.

OP
MrsPancakes

MrsPancakes

StarGirl said:
The big one towards the bottom is definitely a planeria. See the triangle head and the eye spots? Yeah planeria shrink and drop from my experience. Im hoping someone chimes in with a treatment that doesn't kill the snails.
Ok, so it looks like guppies will eat Planeria. I'm going to try that.

New Threads