i just added sand to a tank for the first time yesterday.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by tnfishman35, Nov 29, 2012.

1. tnfishman35

tnfishman35New MemberMember

i went with play sand as the person i had pick it up got it instead of the PFS.It came clean rather quickly to my suprise and i added it to a 30 gallon tank.It looks good but i also added a aqueon quiet flow 30 filter and there are now dips and hills on the side of th tank where the filter is.any help or ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

2. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

You could gently rake it off using a fork or something like that. Or leave it that way for a natural look.

3. oscardude

oscardudeValued MemberMember

You could.make a baffle and attach it to the out flow.

4. OP
    OP
    tnfishman35

it seems to keep doing it like the water outake is stiring the sand i put some driftwood in front and seems to have helped it some.

5. carolo43

carolo43Valued MemberMember

Put a rock or a piece of slate in that area. It will give something for the flow to bounce off from rather than the substrate. Even a piece of driftwood will help. You don't want the filters sucking up the sand.

6. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

I wrapped some stocking around my intake tubes to prevent the sand from getting sucked up into the impellers.

7. scarlett4410

scarlett4410Valued MemberMember

I actually kinda like it , when the sands moved around it looks like waves.

8. OP
    OP
    tnfishman35

thanks for the suggestions i will see what i can do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice