I just accidentally dumped a whole bunch of food.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kelekona, Aug 6, 2015.

1. KelekonaValued MemberMember

Basically I've been keeping a pair of minnows in a 29 gallon in preparation for better fish. There used to be six, but I suspect that two of them decided to swim up the filter pipe, one was defective, and the other one might have been the guy who over-nighted in the 5-gal just to see if it was ready for someone who cost a whole dollar.

I just accidentally gave them three week's worth of goldfish food. I unplugged the filter, a whisper 30 that is running sluggishly with a sponge blocking the intake.

I'm thinking the correct course of action would be to transfer the minnows to the five before I intended and hope for the best? The java moss mat is still sparse, but I was already thinking that the minnows could live there until the next neon tetra sale or the right beta.

The 29 was already getting a diatom outbreak, so maybe a month empty would do that one some good.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  2. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Just vacuum up the excess food and clean the sponges in dechlorinated water.

3. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

If I dumped an excess amount of food into my tank, I would use a net and remove it from the tank. If that wasn't working, then I would use my Python water changer to do the same thing. You wouldn't need to turn-off your filter. You also wouldn't need to move your fish. Good luck! :)

4. KelekonaValued MemberMember

I'm sorry that using the verb meme made a mod twitch.

Turns out that I need a new siphon. For some reason, it would not suck up soggy food.

I transferred the minnows since I've been meaning to eventually. The 29 is now a murky mess and will probably spike pretty badly since all the food is now a fine suspension.

I also hate my filter and my decision to try sand in my tank. I'm going to do goldfish in it this time because comets are cheap and I have goldfish food, but I want loaches at some point and I hate that I can't work the bugs out.

And after I trimmed the sponge to increase water flow, the filter sucked it into the pipe sideways. Maybe next time I should try a sphere.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  5. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

A 29 gal is too small for a comet. They can grow more than 10 inches in length.

Kuhli loaches would do well in your 29, and you could add some middle and top swimmers, such as tetras or rasboras.

6. KelekonaValued MemberMember

The comets will be okay as long as I buy them at one inch and give them away when they're about 3 inches.

It's like my dad's Jack Dempsey in a 10-gallon. When he grew to the point where he had to be traded to the store, he was gorgeous from getting a hobbyist's attention vs being farm-raised.

Also, if they thrive, I think I'd have less anxiety about starting another tropical tank. (In my experience, comets can survive stuff that kills other fish.)

7. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What's the point of buying a fish only to have to rehome it later? I never understood that. Seems like such a hassle. You could restart your tank over, do a fishless cycle, and then put whatever fish you wanted in there, without risking a goldfish and having to go through the hassle of rehoming it.

And I would never put a JD in a 10 gal...

8. KelekonaValued MemberMember

At this point, I like having fish, but we don't know when we might have to rehome ourselves. I hate to judge a fish by its pricetag, but losing feeders by mistakes or having a geological upset seems to hurt less than loosing fish that cost more.

And rehoming isn't much of a hassle. I siphon off some water into an old beer bucket, meditate while gently scooping them up with my hands, and drive them to a store that'll take care of them.

9. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

I would suggest that you start your tank over. If you're against a fish-less cycle, just do a fish-in cycle. Stock lightly and be patient. As for Comet Goldfish, I would recommend a much larger tank. You mentioned that you wanted to work out the kinks with keeping loaches, so why not start your tank over, perform a fish-in cycle with some hardy fish that could be kept with loaches, and then add the loaches once the tank has cycled?

I would recommend against purchasing a fish that you know you will have to re-home in a few months, as it will just add unnecessary stress for the fish. If you are going to go this route anyway, just be ready for them when they reach that size. Have a plan ready so that you can re-home them quickly. Good luck! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice