I hope my idea works Important

Discussion in 'Nano Saltwater Tanks' started by Reefdweller, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

I am still amazed at how hot my JBJ Nano Tank keeps my water. I am talking 84.7 degrees. It just floors me that the pumps run that hot. Thats the only thing that could be heating the water up so much. LED lighting doesnt. So here is my DIY idea. I have taken a Laptop cooler type deal? You place your laptop on them and they have fans on them that suppose to keep your laptop from getting so hot while working. I found a power adapter for it and I have it laying over the water with the 2 little fans blowing into the chambers of the tank. If this works I will take the thing apart and just use the fans only without the whole piece. I was at 84.7 - the little fans have been running about a hour and I am now at 83.9 so hey thats progress. I just need to get the temp. down with the last option of getting a chiller because they are so expensive.

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Don't discount the lighting. Though LED runs much cooler, it can still heat a tank. My LED's will run at 60C (140F) if not for the built-in cooling fans, and even then, they still run around 45-50C (113-122F).

I like the idea of using the laptop cooling fans :)

If you do end up needing a chiller (especially when summer hits), check out https://www.fishlore.com/jbj-mini-aquariumchiller.htm

3. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

DSC_0357.JPG Ryan, I am going to put your theory to the test on these LED's. I want to know as well of course but this morning (lights being off all night of course) fans ran all night (my DIY) This morning we are at 82.5 degrees. Thats pretty good being I was at 84.7 12 hours ago. Once the lights kick on full mode for the biggest part of the day we will see where it is then. I hope it maintains and/or continues to drop.

4. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

Eh who am I kidding... I am going to have to get a chiller lol... ugh.... I read the article and it did cause a lot of evaporation last night running the little fans... I had to top off this morning. Man $400 biggens..... whos idea was it anyways to get in this hobby? oh yeah it was me.... :;madsmiley

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Don't forget about the extra electric cost of basically running an air conditioner 24/7.

None of my tanks are heated because the filters keep the water several degrees above room temp.

6. ryanr

Do a fair bit of research on chillers. There's lots of them out there, some cheap and good, some cheap and nasty.

7. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

Well guys the lowest it went in the past 2 days is 82.4... which isnt really as low as I wanted. Although the fans obviously help. Its just not enough to reach that last couple of degrees. Do you guys think that running at 82 degrees is that bad? Everyone seems happy.. anenome, clowns, couple firefoxes, shrimp and a cleaning crew of about 20 hermits and snails. Let me know what you honestly think and if its even something I need to be worrying with so much at 82.5.

8. ryanr

82 is getting a tad warm. I've had my reef run at 82.5 for a reasonable amount of time, with no noticeable ill effects. I've since brought it down to 79.

Oxygenation could be a concern, but skimmers can generally add enough oxygen back into the water.

It would be better to try keep it around the 77-79/80 range if you can.

9. S

Sturty Valued Member Member

Are you sure your thermometer is accurate? Maybe double check with another one?
    Failing that would extra air via an airstone help cool things down?

10. ryanr

Yep, good point, double check the thermometer. Though in nano, I suspect it is probably getting a little warm.

Yes, an airstone may help, but the risk is that you end up with a foam at the surface (same as what gets produced by the skimmer).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice