I hope I'm doing the right thing...

1. cameronpalte Member Member

A few weeks age I got some goldfish and did not know how to take care of them. A week ago I bought a 20g and put 4 goldfish inside a few minutes after setting them up.

I have finally learned how to start properly yet this tank hasn't even completed it's first cycle which can hurt my goldfish.

This is what I'm doing. I will be donating my 4 goldfish to my friends pond as he knows a lot more about this than I do.

I will be purchasing a 55g and will set it up and have it start it's full cycle. I am still deciding what fish I will be putting into that. I will try to do everything right during this try hopefully with help from you guys.

So, do you thing what I am doing is right? Tha is ahead.

2. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

Yup, but why not do a community tank with the 20g?

3. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I'm so glad you did some research!! The goldies will be happier in a pond, and the 55g is way bigger and can hold a larger variety of fish.

4. cameronpalte Member Member

My parents are buying it and they said if I wanted I could get a 55g, so thats what I asked for:)... I want it because it can hold more fish.

5. cameronpalte Member Member

Ok, thank you for the support...

BTW, does anyone know if pet co supports returns? I purchased it, and will be returning ~7 days after purchase I heard they have 30 day return policy, so I think thats fine...

6. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

IMO I think you should keep the 20 gallon and start a community and first learn how maintain it then switch to a 55 gallon it would help you alot.

7. camel89 Initiate Member

I think either size should be fine. Just going to be a bit harder changing a larger volume of water. Good luck!

8. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

You could return it, but why not have 2 tanks?

9. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

Ha ha ha, that's an excellent reason to get a 55g! You could always keep the 20g as a quarantine tank....or you could just have 2 communities =)

10. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

I would vote for keeping the 20 as a quarantine / hospital tank.

The 55 will actually be easier to maintain, as the water parameters will be much more stable.

11. cameronpalte Member Member

My parents will not allow me to get a 55g if I keep the 20g. I am not even sure they will allow me to get a 10g as a fry tank but I can wait a month or 2 on that.

12. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure if they will take the return since the tank has been used. Most places its 30 day return policy for unused product. Used there usually has to be something wrong with it. I'm not 100% sure but you'll have to call them up and ask.

13. cameronpalte Member Member

When, I bought it there was a scratch on the tank, so I can try to argue that if need be:). It has only been used for ~3 days, so I'll probably take it there and see what they say. I plan on buying my 55g from there so if I say I wanted to return it because I want to upgrade they may be more leniant:)... owell, I'll see what they say.