I hope I didn't bite off more than I could chew (blue gouramis)

LuxuriantTen

Dear all!

So today I bought 2 blue gourami's for my 50 gallon tank. I read on most websites they are peaceful fish that work well in a community setting, however after buying them and looking up youtube video's from gourami keepers I am starting to doubt this statement... I hear they can be very aggresive and some even say that two gourami's in the same tank will ALWAYS eventually end up fighting.

So my question is, also given my current stocking, is it safe to keep these fish? My tank is heavily planted, also with floating plants and lots of stones and driftwood so there are plenty of hiding spots (see image). So far they are doing great.

Current stocking:

11 rummynose tetra's
3 zebra danio's
1 dwarf rainbow fish (lone survivor of an old school)
2 female apistogramma cacatuoides
2 dojo loaches
1 bristlenose pleco
1 siamese algae eater
1 male swordtail
6 nerite snails
2 sulawesi snails
6 amano shrimp

Thank you!

Betta'sAnonymous

My personal experience with gouramis: years ago when i was clueless i had about 3 or 4 different kinds of gouramis in my tank, 2 of each of them, including 2 blue gouramis. I do think gouramis are really pretty fish, after all! I didn't realize what a potential disaster i had on my hands. All i witnessed was very occasional nipping amongst the gouramis. There was more nipping between them and the tiger barbs than anything. And even that was pretty spotty. So you never really know

Justthegirlnextdoor

I had a tank full of them, never had a problem. The will be as aggressive as any other fish if picked on but that said, to me, they are pretty peaceful fish. Never had a problem with them biting or chasing anyone. I had a community tank with all sorts of fish too.

DoubleDutch

I think you've a male (left) and a female and in a 50G they will do great.

LuxuriantTen

Thank you all for your replies. That does really take a lot of my doubts away. I've never had gouramis before so it's good to hear from some experienced fellas!

DoubleDutch said:
I think you've a male (left) and a female and in a 50G they will do great.
That's amazing, I was going for a couple and had read on how to sex them but it was kind of hard for me to tell at the store if I had really picked a male and a female. Thanks!

Donovan Jones

With the blues I've only ever had males be problems. Overall peaceful though and it was only one male that was too aggressive

LuxuriantTen

yeah it's been a day now and I gotta say it's hard to imagine these fish can be really aggressive. They move very graciously and slow. There is no fish in my tank that moves as slow as they do. Everything seems fine and it's cool to see them have friendly interaction with each other,the other fish and the environment

I think it was a good choice in the end and I love watching them!

However they're still fairly small. (If there is anyone who is able to estimate their age let me know!). Hopefully no problems will arise as they grow bigger.

DoubleDutch

If male / female as I suspected it is great they grow up together and are given time to be a couple.

Agression often appears between two males when maturing.

kbn

LuxuriantTen said:
Dear all!

So today I bought 2 blue gourami's for my 50 gallon tank. I read on most websites they are peaceful fish that work well in a community setting, however after buying them and looking up youtube video's from gourami keepers I am starting to doubt this statement... I hear they can be very aggresive and some even say that two gourami's in the same tank will ALWAYS eventually end up fighting.

So my question is, also given my current stocking, is it safe to keep these fish? My tank is heavily planted, also with floating plants and lots of stones and driftwood so there are plenty of hiding spots (see image). So far they are doing great.

Current stocking:

11 rummynose tetra's
3 zebra danio's
1 dwarf rainbow fish (lone survivor of an old school)
2 female apistogramma cacatuoides
2 dojo loaches
1 bristlenose pleco
1 siamese algae eater
1 male swordtail
6 nerite snails
2 sulawesi snails
6 amano shrimp

Thank you!
That's a very very beautiful aquascape, I love it!

LuxuriantTen

kbn said:
That's a very very beautiful aquascape, I love it!
Thank you my friend! It's appreciated. The jungle vallisneria is a bit too big for this tank but I quite like the wild look actually.

kbn

LuxuriantTen said:
Thank you my friend! It's appreciated. The jungle vallisneria is a bit too big for this tank but I quite like the wild look actually.
Perhaps vallisneria spiralis will be a better fit?

OJteddy0824

Pretty tank. Just be careful with male/ female ratio if you add more (I had issues w too many males). Good luck! Gouramis are the best!

BigBeardDaHuZi

What a beautiful tank OP, that looks really soothing. The gouramis really add a nice touch too.

My brother had one of those blues when we were kids and he was a right b... he was a jerk. It's nice hearing that isn't always the case though. They really are a lovely fish

LuxuriantTen

kbn said:
Perhaps vallisneria spiralis will be a better fit?
it definitely would be LOL but I haven't had much succes with the smaller vallisneria species in this tank and the jungle valve loves it in there ( no idea why) so I just trim it regularly so it doesn't take up all the light and space

OJteddy0824 said:
Pretty tank. Just be careful with male/ female ratio if you add more (I had issues w too many males). Good luck! Gouramis are the best!
Thanks, they definitely are! I'm not planning on buying more, just the couple. My tank is nearly fully stocked already.

BigBeardDaHuZi said:
What a beautiful tank OP, that looks really soothing. The gouramis really add a nice touch too.

My brother had one of those blues when we were kids and he was a right b... he was a jerk. It's nice hearing that isn't always the case though. They really are a lovely fish
Thank you! Yeah sometimes you have to be a bit lucky in buying the right fish they're all different with different personalities but that's what makes the hobby more fun for me!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom