I helped a betta!

1. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

So I was at my Pet shop last night buying my fishes some real plants (eventually, I know...). I got 4, 2 for my big tank, 1 for Neptune and 1 for my middle tank. Anyway, while there, there was a molly tank with a lovely (big) betta in it, flaring away at the mollies, minding his own business. Seconds later, a beautiful tiny little betta swims into view in the same tank.... Lovely blue body and red veiltail fins. Anyway I saw this, me and my mum just looked at each other and grabbed a girl walking past. She was just as horrified. She said to the fish dept the night before to take the little betta out of the tank and move it as she wasn't working with the fish for a few days, but they still hadn't done it. Seconds later she appears with a net and moves the little guy. If I had the space I would have bought him. She was angry that they had not moved him and I was so surprised to see that she cared so much, but in a good way obviously :)
    We got talking to her about the fighters and I found out that an LFS close by sells the bettas in death cups :'(. It's a shame, I was going to go there soon to have a look, but if that's how they treat the fish, I'm going nowhere near the place (if I do, I will come home juggling 50 betta cups lol).
    Sorry about the rant, but I was glad I got to save the little guy, he had perfect fins (surprisingly given the aggressive betta he was in with). Let's hope he gets a nice home too cause this one's not hanging about for long!

2. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Great job helping to get him moved to a safer place! Here in the US I have never seen bettas kept in anything but those little cups...I know that by buying them I encourage the pet shop to keep ordering them that way. But I also know that if I don't buy them they'll either die in the cup or end up in the care of a 3 year old who has a mother that thinks its okay to keep the betta in a drinking glass.

3. Borisbbadd Guest

Good for you.............:;th

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Way to go. They need all the help we can give them. Kudos to the girl who moved him.

5. Shadowbeam Member Member

Aww thats a nice story, made me smile, see ------> :)
    I'm quite lucky my LFS keeps Bettas in thier own tanks too.

6. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Good for you! God, my heart would have leapt into my throat at seeing that! I am surprised it hadn't ended in disaster prior to you saving him!
    Hooray for saving the betta! :)

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Great rescue Tiger! :clapping:
    Ken

8. shellbell4ever Well Known Member Member

Great thing you did :) It's also nice to hear a petstore employee was willing to do something about it as well!!

9. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Great job! Every random act of kindness counts! The employee was very caring too. :)

10. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Haha, thanks everyone, just thought it would be nice to let you know that some LFS people do care!

11. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

I am surprised that the sales assistant didn't just move him straight away when she noticed him the night before? Nothing would have stopped me.