i heard...plecos

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
you can feed plecos cuccumber && zuchinni?
true or not?
+how?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Of course you can feed them with zucchini and cucumber, and even should How? You can weigh a slice of either under a rock or some heavy decor piece. Or, there are "clips" available at fish stores which can hold the food in place, for example attached to tank wall.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You should blanch it before serving to make it softer. I have found that if you microwave/cook zucchini (never fed cucumber) long enough, it will sink on its own without having to weigh it down.
Just make sure to remove it after a few days so it doesn't spoil in the tank.

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
ok...i microwaved a lettuce, and stuck it half under a decoration...doesnt seem like anythins tried to eat it..

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sometimes your fish are particular and don't like things other fish like. The zucchini is usually a big hit with plecos. I don't nuke or blanch my veggies. I weigh them down with a screwcumber. You can also just stick a spoon or fork in them to weigh them down. My plecos love zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potatoes, & carrots.

boff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you think plecs will eat pumpkin?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would definately try it! I've put rutabaga in my tanks before, and they are pretty bitter. It took a day before they would eat it. I think pumpkin is definately worth a try!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My Otos don't like lettuce very much compared to zucchini. And sometimes it just takes fish a while to find food.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Gunnie said:
Sometimes your fish are particular and don't like things other fish like.  The zucchini is usually a big hit with plecos.  I don't nuke or blanch my veggies.  I weigh them down with a screwcumber.  You can also just stick a spoon or fork in them to weigh them down.  My plecos love zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potatoes, & carrots. 
Just checked out the screwcumber link. Oooooh, very clever!

Noobie

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that the paint, or whatever they use to decorate artificial, storebought decorations may be a potential hazard to plecos...fact or fiction?

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've tried with a piece of cucumber, trapped it under a deco but although when taking it out 2 days later i saw bite marks from the fish i dont think the pleco ate from it at all! he just ignores it!!

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
That happened to me too, but next time I put it in, the plecos loved it. It takes them a while.

Also, they like it when it's been in the water for a day, then it's softer. Of course, don't leave it in the water for more than two days or you run the risk of it rotting. I'd keep trying. It's really worth it when you see them happily devour it.

Also, my plecos came out at night mainly so I tried putting it in just before lights out. My mollies, true to themselves, pretty much understood immediately that it was food. Greedy so and so's.

Oh, and what helped for me is to have a large surface of cucumber (i.e. cutting a long thinnish slice lengthways rather than a round slice across the cucumber). They kind of needed me to make it obvious!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Noobie said:
I think I read somewhere that the paint, or whatever they use to decorate artificial, storebought decorations may be a potential hazard to plecos...fact or fiction?
never thought about it before. i only have one artificial decor in my tank and he doesnt go near it. i guess the way the rasp on things means maybe it would.....but surely the manufacturers would only use safe paint? so nope, i really have no idea....sorry

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom